PDA

View Full Version : Automatic folding mirrors

colVR4
18-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Anybody wired in the folding door mirrors to the central locking so that when you lock the car remotely the wing mirrors fold away and then fold out again when the car is unlocked? I saw it on an FTO and thought it was a good idea (especially in some supermarket car parks) :-b

KiwiTT
18-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Sounds like a good idea ? I may get it too.

Big Ian
18-08-2004, 08:38 AM
speak to zedy or kieran about it..as one of them know's what wire's and relay you have to tap into or try a search for the thread.

colVR4
18-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Can't find any thread relating to this (maybe I am searching for the wrong things!!)

I wonder if there are any electrically-electronically-technically-minded members who could come up with a simple(ish) conversion kit for Galant owners so that we could carry out this conversion. I would be willing to pay for such a kit for the entrepen...entruepern....business minded people out there.

Over to....erm....Kieran I suppose!!! :-D

ritch_w
18-08-2004, 10:21 AM
from - search on mirrirs;

http://www.ftooc.org/contents/index.html

gnemie wrote:
please help, its driving me potty

i know ive read it some where but is there a way you can wire your mirrors to auto close when you lock the doors ?

(someone does a kit for £7.50 but who?)

just cant find the post, can you

p.s. see you a the 10th Anniversery Meet

Asked the same question when i Joined this is the reply

Pete Schofield has designed an inexpensive kit which you can buy. The kit uses two blocking diodes to simplify the installation and requires just two connections at the switch and two at the door lock relay. The kit is only £7.50 and comes with "idiot proof " instructions. Make a cheque for this sum payable to "P. Schofield" and send with return address to:
Pete Schofield,
224 Sheffield Road,
Barnsley,
S70 4PG
and he will send a kit by return post.

:D

colVR4
18-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Cheers Rich. I will definately look into this (especially for £7.50)

wirdy
18-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Cheers Rich. I will definately look into this (especially for £7.50)

Don't waste your £7.50 mate, it's just two bits of wire with diodes soldered in the middle, I've seen the 'kit' and it doesn't work on our Galants.

You need to put relays into the mirror fold wiring - driven from the low-level central locking signal.
Have the relays but job is on my 'to-do' list. There is a thread on it somewhere. :)

colVR4
19-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Phew!! nearly wasted £7.50 thanks wirdy.

I can't find the thread at the moment though. Considering that there is a switch on the dash couldn't you just wire it from that? My thoughts were simply to wire it so that when the door mechanism locks the switch operates. I don't know anything at all about electronics or electrical stuff though so I hadn't even considerd things like different voltages or the like.

wirdy
19-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Don't quote me on this, but from memory the 'lock' and 'unlock' outputs I measured from the central locking control unit are at a level of about 4.5v DC. So not enough to drive the mirrors directly. My mirrors sometimes struggle on 12v when the engine isn't running!. You never know, your car could be different, but I'm assuming a standard wiring set-up for all Galants.

Please try & measure your outputs, they may be different.

(The central locking unit sits above the drivers right knee, under the dash on my car).

Nick Mann
19-08-2004, 01:31 PM
After much searching, I have found this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2499) but it is mostly about windows. Is this the same thread as you were talking about, Nigel?

colVR4
19-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I wasn't thinking about driving the mirrors directly but using the exsting switch for the mirrors. I was thinking along the lines of an open/close switch to bypass the mirror switch based on a signal from the locking mechanism being locked/unlocked. Does that make any sense.

The problem is that I don't know enough about electronics to know how to build it. I have got the general idea but haven't got the knowhow.

Brind
19-08-2004, 07:13 PM
I'd be concerned about activating the door locks when using the manual switch for the mirrors after.. unless you switch the switch to prevent it going back the other way from the locks.

What's wrong with just flicking the switch when you get out of the car.. I do every single time without thinking about it, and I'm the laziest person alive when I want to be. :laugh:

wirdy
19-08-2004, 11:15 PM
After much searching, I have found this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2499) but it is mostly about windows. Is this the same thread as you were talking about, Nigel?

No, there was more than this. Perhaps it disappeared during one of the server deaths. :sad3:

wirdy
19-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I'd be concerned about activating the door locks when using the manual switch for the mirrors after.. unless you switch the switch to prevent it going back the other way from the locks.

if this way is attempted, a simple diode in each line would sort that potential problem. ;)

zedy1
20-08-2004, 12:02 AM
KEEPING THINGS SHORT AND NOT TOO CONFUSING,

when you lock or unlock the locks with the remote your alarm system sends a 0.8sec negative signal to the central locking relay (hence your getting a low voltage wirdy) the mirrors require a few seconds to close and do not have a timer control relay (only has a switch, which only works with ignition on)

so basicly you need two timers (maybe three) and a few diodes. maybe a few relays too as the rest on a open circuit

if enough interest i may be able to make abit of a kit but dont think it would be cheap as the timers cost approx £10-£15 quid and alot of mucking about

to put the cost lower you could make a kit which will fold the mirrors in when you lock the doors and they will fold out automatically when you start the car