PDA

View Full Version : absolutely outrageous !!

SGHOM
18-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I've just had a 'long' reply from Mitsy, regarding the leaking gearbox, detailing their side of the argument.
As you will recall, They wanted another £300 to fix it. but now they have relented & offered to do It for............................

£570.90 !! WTF !!

I feel a war coming on !!

wirdy
18-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Can you afford a day off work for a small claims action Derek?

SGHOM
18-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I can afford all the time in the world to kick sh!t out of them !!

breifly, they claim the mileage I have done since replacing the sump, has been the cause of the leak !! Like f*ck It has .

SGHOM
18-08-2004, 09:49 PM
/ edited version.........

Dear Mr Tew,

I understand from your letter & from checking the history of the vehicle, that we had 2 attempts to resolve the oil leak.

As you rightly point out, we replaced the sump seal on sept 5th, that we found to be leaking. then, on 7th Nov we replaced the sump. we deduced from that, that the sump was warped slightly & therefore only replacing the seal did not cure the leak.

We assumed at this point that the leak was cured, and, as your car has covered 6000 miles before its next visit to us, we could only presume that the leak was no longer apparent. As you said, the car was consuming ATF at an alarming rate.

In July, you asked us to investigate another oil leak, which we found to be the torque seal.

After taking ito consideration the above facts, we are unable to to repair the seal for free, however, as a gesture of goodwill, we are willing to deduct the cost of the 1st repair.

yours, etc... etc..

& My response should be ??? bear in mind guys, they quoted me £300 to do the seal, which I refused to pay, & now they want;

£570.00 + sundry items + £37.02 for seal kit....
- £166.15 for previous repair
total............. £485.87 + VAT £570.90

Jimbo
18-08-2004, 11:50 PM
That's outrageous. :(

I agree with Wirdy's advice, play the small claims card and see what the threat does - it'll cost them money if they have to have their service guy(s) attend as witnesses, so they may relent or offer you a better deal. I can't see you've got anything to lose by trying, mate.

Hope you get some better news soon.

wirdy
19-08-2004, 12:22 AM
There are a few 'presume's and 'assume's in the reply Derek.

If you can put across the facts in your own words & prove to the Judge that the leak has been there since day one then you're onto a winner. They have been careful in the wording of their reply - the words presume & assume do not infer a factual statement. ;)

I've learnt plenty from fighting my ex father-in-law in the small claims court & from 3 years+ in County courts battling the 'ex' over custody. Don't be apprehensive - it's not as daunting as it sounds. :)

Good luck whichever route you take. ;)

(I'm sure you said that the sump was replaced due to a diagnosed 'hairline crack'?, they've changed the story have they?)

SGHOM
20-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I rang the trading standards agency this morning, [ freephone no; to a national helpline] explained to the nice lady about the course of events. I dont think she had a clue what I was on about technically !! :rolleyes5 but the upshot of it is, I have already done what they would recommend doing in the first instance, & It looks like I have a case to be answered.
My complaint has been passed on to the Sheffield trading standards dept, & I can expect a call & visit from them within the next 3 days !

Nick Mann
20-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Good on you! Go get 'em!

SGHOM
20-08-2004, 10:30 PM
one more thing !!
they told me the cost of replacing the torque seal was £375, & that the best they could do was knock £75 off !!
now they tell me It's nearer £700 ?? me think's Mitsy have a big problem talking their way out of this one !! ................. hopefully !! :$