PDA

View Full Version : power window cable snapped, anyone help?

jahooli
31-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi, cable snapped, had a look today, ni idea how to fix it. Nick Mann kindly gave me a door with all the workings in but I cant work out what I need to replace. Deos anyone know if i have to replace the motor and support? If its just the cable, how do I replace it?

any help appreciated.

hooooooooli

Turbo_Steve
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeup - you need to replace the entire reg.

I've only done a back door, but it's actually not very difficult.

The single most important thing you must must must do is adequately support the window glass. I found two pieces of gaffer tape looped over the door and adhered to either side of the window glass worked well, but do it on a warm day to avoid damaging your window tints when you remove the tape.

You can then simply undo the existing reg from the window (can't recall how it's fixed) and the three bolts into the door. It needs to scrunch up a bit and turn around a bit to get it out through the gap.

The electrical connect will almost definitely break: you need to be really careful to get it off without snappage.

I'll see if I can find some photos to post up....

jahooli
01-06-2010, 10:28 PM
sweet, would appreciate it, by reg do you mean including the silver metal support in the middle or the motor and cable?

thanks Steve

Turbo_Steve
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
reg = the whole lot, dude. Sorry: motor, cable, the whole caboodle.

GroundControl
01-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I have an entire drivers door electric window setup at home that I can take some pics of if it'd be any help figuring out what's where.

From memory it was a bit of a pain to remove from the door (which was off the car at the time) although the door in question was slightly pushed in so that might've made it trickier than it otherwise would have been.

jahooli
19-06-2010, 10:37 PM
anyone looking to do this, its very straight forward, just need to wind the new reg down a tad before fitting or its a nightmare to fit.

thanks to Nick Mann for the free reg, nice one mate.