PDA

View Full Version : Exedy Clutch - Making the right choice - The correct OEM replacement for VR4's

Kitty's VR4
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
For the Manual fraternity....

Just thought you guys might like this info !! :idea2: :idea2:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9033-Clutch-Recommendations-and-Questions&p=173225&viewfull=1#post173225

Scanny
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
copy/paste? wouldnt let me see the forum

Nutter_John
01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Then sign up it is free

Gly
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
some of us arnt welcome on ozvr4

stuey
01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Can't see it either.... as not a member

For those interested I recently replaced my clutch:

Had fitted an skimmed Evo 9 standard flywheel using one of Nick Mann's spacers, and a standard Evo 7-9 Exedy kit from Camskill.

All fits and works beautifully, and handles the extra power from more boost which the old one didn't..

Kenneth
02-06-2010, 05:49 AM
I have asked permission from the poster to copy and paste, will do so if permission is given.

ralliart81
02-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Quoted From Ozvr4.com Forum !!

Members Recommending the MBK-7420HD , SO , HDCB, HDB , is Incorrect !!

There is no need for modification !! Members & Workshops may have made the kit fit ! BUT IS NOT THE CORRECT OEM Replacement !

I've worked closely with exedy japan ! Exedy is the OE Supplier to all Mitsubishi Made Vehicle's , From the Factory !

Direct Replacement Kit is the MBK-7223HD , Yes Mitsubishi Australia Use this kit in the TJ Series Magna's , But is also the Original Equipment From Factory for All Mitsubishi EC5A & EC5W

Kind Regards
Carlo Calzuola
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
Sales Representitive
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

ralliart81
02-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Kitty's VR4
Then there is this option for consideration of the diehards that want to use the EVO 7-9 Clutch Range !!!!

Kat thank you for the link , http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=457312&postcount=1

Now i can not stop the diehards for going to the trouble of this modification !

But i can stress that no clutch supplier will warranty there kit , IF installed Under this Mod !

I'm here to help , and not here to bag out the modifications ,

The end user eg: you guys would be out of pocket , if something did go wrong !

MBK-7223HD is the OEM Replacement , An i would stick with that.

Unless the car has High Horse Power , then we can custom make a kit to suit .

Kind Regards
Carlo Calzuola
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
Sales Representitive
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

ralliart81
02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
NPC Performance Clutch's

They do not recommend the Evo 7 to 9 kit , bolting up to the Legnum Flywheel . As it cause the cover assy to rub an hit on the bellhousing .

They do have Custom Evolution 6 Sports Organic Kits With Flywheel to suit . That work Fantastic !!!

The Flywheel suit's both bolt up options of the Pull Type Cover & Push Type Cover

As he has come across some legnum's being converted to the push type cover with a OS Giken kit from japan !

Kit is Rated to 260kw @ all Four !

People that are interested in this style of kit .

Should contact NPC Performance Clutche's

http://www.npcperformance.com.au/

Carlo Calzuola
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
Sales Representitive
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

ralliart81
02-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I have asked permission from the poster to copy and paste, will do so if permission is given.

Thanks Kenneth for asking before posting , but i beat ya to it ;-) .

Kenneth
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks Kenneth for asking before posting , but i beat ya to it ;-) .

No worries, it never hurts to be courteous :)
Thanks for the information.

Gly
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
NPC Performance Clutch's

They do not recommend the Evo 7 to 9 kit , bolting up to the Legnum Flywheel . As it cause the cover assy to rub an hit on the bellhousing .

find that hard to beleive,
thats what im running in my car, and have been for 18months without issue

the physical size of the cover is the same (evo 7-9 and vr4), just the components in the cover are different

ralliart81
04-06-2010, 04:23 AM
original post qoute" Gly "

find that hard to beleive,
thats what im running in my car, and have been for 18months without issue

the physical size of the cover is the same (evo 7-9 and vr4), just the components in the cover are different

__________________________________________________ _______________

I've attached photo's of both the Evo 7 - 9 Cover & VR4 Legnum EC5W / Galant EC5A Cover .

You can see there is a difference in height - By 4mm
That also will change the operation of the Clutch Fork & Bearing as it will site in a slightly higher position !!

Now i have been told that some workshops get around this by machining down the flywheel to suit the evo7-9 cover .

But its highly recommended not to !

Now this so far is refering to the australian market ,
As i have no idea what UK, and NZ workshops have fabricated to get around this an use evolution 7 - 9 clutch kits without having issues.

Yes there are spacers an mod's out there from various fabricators .
To suit this kit for higher horse powered VR4 Galants & Legnums

Its totally upto you guys witch way you want to go with Purchase's of the kit in general .

I'm just here to pass on some info , That has been very helpfull for the Aussie Market .

Inregards to the legnums & Galants.

taupodrifta
04-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I have to agree with GLY here 4 mm isnt gonna fowl with the bellhousing. There is no way mitsi would have made only a 4mm clearence between bell housing and pressure plate.

ralliart81
04-06-2010, 06:03 AM
I have to agree with GLY here 4 mm isnt gonna fowl with the bellhousing. There is no way mitsi would have made only a 4mm clearence between bell housing and pressure plate.

As i said , There have been reports of this happening in Australia !!

you dont have to believe the facts ! But that's the reports we have got from one of the best in the business in oz.

Its not just the clearance , From cover to bellhousing , it also has to do with the VR4 flywheel sits higher then the evo flywheel also causing this issue !!

Compare Flywheel heights from crank to bolt up face & include the difference of height from the covers and tell me different !!

I'm looking forward to your answer Taupdrifta !

kind regards

Carlo Calzuola
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
Sales Representitive
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

Kenneth
04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Yep, the evo flywheel sits further "back" into the engine. This is one of the reasons a spacer is needed when fitting an evo flywheel, otherwise the ring gear will foul on the starter.

I got around it with a small spacer (one of the ones used on the standard one which had been ground down) on the flywheel and a 3mm one on the starter motor.

I wonder if there is any relationship to facelift vs prefacelift with this also, there seems to be all sorts of vary slight differences in them.

ralliart81
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Yep, the evo flywheel sits further "back" into the engine. This is one of the reasons a spacer is needed when fitting an evo flywheel, otherwise the ring gear will foul on the starter.

I got around it with a small spacer (one of the ones used on the standard one which had been ground down) on the flywheel and a 3mm one on the starter motor.

I wonder if there is any relationship to facelift vs prefacelift with this also, there seems to be all sorts of vary slight differences in them.

Hey mate thanks for the info ,

I do believe that both the prefacelift series 1 & facelift series 2, Galant & Legnum's run the exact same clutch setup from the info i've received from japan.

Being the MBK-7223HD .

kc427
08-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks all for the info. What is the dimension of the spacers used? eg, the thickness of the spacer used on the flywheel, and the one on the starter? I guess it would be helpful for those who are thinking to use EVO clutch kits + EVO flywheel.

Cheers. :)

Nick Mann Services
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I spent a long time at coordsport (http://www.coordsport.com/) looking at the differences between clutches. There are height differences even between different manufacturers of Evo clutches with can further confuse the issue.

I chose a spacer thickness of 7mm, as this seemed to put the starter ring and the release bearing in approximately the same position as the stock setup. I have sold 15 spacer kits now, and no-one yet has told me they are having any issues with the release plate fouling the bellhousing.

I hope that helps.

Nick.

Nick Mann Services
08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I fact - I didn't see the clutch fouling the bellhousing as an issue when measuring up, but you can see I highlighted the deeper release plate when I put up the conversion kit thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41975

taupodrifta
08-06-2010, 09:26 AM
As i said , There have been reports of this happening in Australia !!

you dont have to believe the facts ! But that's the reports we have got from one of the best in the business in oz.

Its not just the clearance , From cover to bellhousing , it also has to do with the VR4 flywheel sits higher then the evo flywheel also causing this issue !!

Compare Flywheel heights from crank to bolt up face & include the difference of height from the covers and tell me different !!

I'm looking forward to your answer Taupdrifta !

kind regards

Carlo Calzuola
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
Sales Representitive
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

Take the fly wheel out of the picture. As you say the evo pressure plate is 4 mm taller it still puts in theory that you are saying the bell housing is only 4mm away from the standard pressure plate. If you say there is more clearance than 4mm using an evo pressure plate wont cause a problem!!!

Nick Mann Services
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I have found some of the measurements I took, and some of the photos.

The release plate has already been pictured, but here are some comparisons of the flywheels and friction plates:

Nick Mann Services
08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately, I can't remember which friction plate came from which clutch. I *think* the taller one was the Evo friction plate, the shorter one the VR4 plate.

The flywheels are hugely different in depth, as the photo shows.

We measured the total VR4 flywheel thickness as 33.7mm. The Evo flywheel was 28.14mm. The mounting surface of the Evo flywheel was 5mm further recessed than the VR4 flywheel. (See the first picture - the mounting holes are recessed in on the Evo flywheel.) The starter ring sat a further 2mm closer to the engine on the Evo flywheel.

So, a 7mm spacer moved the starter ring to the right position, but only moved the working face of the flywheel 2mm as compared to the total flywheel thickness. Giving an effective Evo flywheel thickness of 30.14mm. That means the working face of the flywheel is 3.56mm closer to the engine than a standard VR4 flywheel. That seems pretty close to the 4mm height difference on the pressure plate, doesn't it?

:P

Like I said, I tried to design the spacer so it would keep the starter ring and the release bearing in the right place. As an unexpected bonus, this seems to solve the unforseen issue of possible pressure plate/bellhousing rubbing.

Again, I hope that helps.

kc427
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, I can't remember which friction plate came from which clutch. I *think* the taller one was the Evo friction plate, the shorter one the VR4 plate.

The flywheels are hugely different in depth, as the photo shows.

We measured the total VR4 flywheel thickness as 33.7mm. The Evo flywheel was 28.14mm. The mounting surface of the Evo flywheel was 5mm further recessed than the VR4 flywheel. (See the first picture - the mounting holes are recessed in on the Evo flywheel.) The starter ring sat a further 2mm closer to the engine on the Evo flywheel.

So, a 7mm spacer moved the starter ring to the right position, but only moved the working face of the flywheel 2mm as compared to the total flywheel thickness. Giving an effective Evo flywheel thickness of 30.14mm. That means the working face of the flywheel is 3.56mm closer to the engine than a standard VR4 flywheel. That seems pretty close to the 4mm height difference on the pressure plate, doesn't it?

:P

Like I said, I tried to design the spacer so it would keep the starter ring and the release bearing in the right place. As an unexpected bonus, this seems to solve the unforseen issue of possible pressure plate/bellhousing rubbing.

Again, I hope that helps.

That's very helpful /megawoot

Adam.Findlay
09-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Take the fly wheel out of the picture. As you say the evo pressure plate is 4 mm taller it still puts in theory that you are saying the bell housing is only 4mm away from the standard pressure plate. If you say there is more clearance than 4mm using an evo pressure plate wont cause a problem!!!
i know 4mm sounds silly but remember east west engine configuration doesnt leave much space for unessacary, well... space.
by nick manns post it shows using a evo flywheel with evo clutch and nicks spacer works sweet as but using a evo clutch on a vr-4 flywheel will cause rub

Gly
10-06-2010, 01:15 AM
it hasnt for me,

using a vr4 fly, and a evo clutch, not had a issus in 18 months,

also bradc's WT vr4 he sold recently has a evo clutch on a vr4 fly, and no issues there either

Nick Mann Services
10-06-2010, 08:11 AM
My guess would be that the clearance for the stock setup is in the region of 4mm. Depending on flywheel machining/exact type of evo pressure plate you get fouling issues or you don't.

Looking at the numbers, it seems more likely that you don't get rubbing, but it also seems obvious that there is a chance.

TBH it doesn't seem worth arguing over - just take the facts as they are. Of the people who have used an evo clutch on a vr4 flywheel, below half have experienced rubbing/fouling.

ralliart81
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
My guess would be that the clearance for the stock setup is in the region of 4mm. Depending on flywheel machining/exact type of evo pressure plate you get fouling issues or you don't.

Looking at the numbers, it seems more likely that you don't get rubbing, but it also seems obvious that there is a chance.

TBH it doesn't seem worth arguing over - just take the facts as they are. Of the people who have used an evo clutch on a vr4 flywheel, below half have experienced rubbing/fouling.

Thanks for the pic's and info Nick , very helpfull indeed :) .

--hoff
17-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I have Evo 8 twin plate clutch on my car. So far no problem with the clutch. But if I know this information in the first place I would have gone with the one that doesn't need any spacer modification.

Thanks for the info