PDA

View Full Version : Gunman goes on the rampage in Cumbria !!

SGHOM
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
BBC Home > BBC News > England
Menu
Gunman kills several in west Cumbria
02 June 10 13:10

Several people have been killed and others injured after a gunman opened fire in several areas of west Cumbria.
Police are searching for the suspect, named as Derrick Bird, after shots were fired in Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont.
He is believed to be heading towards the central Lakes area in a grey or silver Picasso, registration ND55 ZFC.
A force spokesman said officers are working to establish the identities of those killed and wounded.
Police were initially called after shots were fired in Duke Street, Whitehaven, at 1035 BST.
A force spokesman said: "We can confirm that a number of people have been injured after shots were fired in the Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont areas this morning.
"There are a number of fatalities and police are working to identify the individuals and inform relatives. Ambulance crews are in attendance across the area."
People living across central and west Cumbria are being urged to stay indoors and drivers are being warned not to pick up hitchhikers in case the suspect is on foot.
The Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant in west Cumbria has also closed its gates as a safety precaution and afternoon shift workers are being told to stay away until the "risk is reduced".
Anyone who sees Mr Bird, from Rowrah near Frizington, should contact Cumbria Police.
A force spokesman said: "He was last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction.
"He may have abandoned the car and be proceeding on foot. Armed police are currently working to apprehend him and advising members of the public in West and Central Lakes areas to go indoors and stay there until further notice."
Are you in the area? Have you been affected by the issues in the story? Send us your comments using the form below.
Name

foxdie
02-06-2010, 02:31 PM
I thought this was a wind-up at first because of the first name of the guy the same as yours (bar a slightly different spelling), like maybe you were having a rant about something and making an amusing story about it..

Until I saw http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/10216315.stm :/

My sympathies are with their families.

Spirit
02-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Looks like he's topped himself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm

Sympathies for all those affected

AlanDITD
02-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Utterly shocked tbh...i was on the train on the way back from carlisle when i heard!

Thoughts go out to all the families.