PDA

View Full Version : Wiper arms removal

JTG
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
My wiper arms, or one in particular are in need of a lick of paint, I was about get cracking with this but couldn't remove the driver side arm. I assumed it was just a case of removing the top bolt and hey presto, lift it up. Is this not the case? Or do I just need to use more force?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

elnevio
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
More force!

Once the nut is undone and off, the wiper arm should just lift up (although might be slightly 'attached' to the splined post).

Kryton
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Socket set & brute force should do the job. Don't try & use a spanner as it will scratch it trying to twist it! I assume yours looks like this:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=324430

mike74
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
i normally remove the nut then lever the arm off the spindle with a flat bladed screwdriver underneath it (ie insert it under the arm then try & rotate it). once it starts to move it should just pull off. just watch the screwdriver doesn't slip or put a cloth or some tape under it

JTG
03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah I dusted off my socket set. That hasn't seen the light of day for a while ;)

Right, back I go then, this time armed with more elbow grease.

JTG
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Right I've got them off (thanks for the screwdriver tip) but now the question is, sand them down and respray them.... or Hammerite Smooth finish? I am edging toward Hammerite as I think they will just peel again if I go with the aerosol option.....

Kryton
03-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Should be ok if you lacquer them & far better finish. Hammerite is far quicker & easier though. I would spray them though

JTG
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Should be ok if you lacquer them & far better finish. Hammerite is far quicker & easier though. I would spray them though

Hmm, would they not be a bit too shiny with lacquer applied? I actually think spraying them would be easier, not sure how I'd get in all the gaps and achieve a smooth finish with a brush.

elnevio
03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I just sprayed without any other preparation. No problem since done about 18 months or so ago!

JTG
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
You didn't even sand them down? I'm now off to wilco to buy sandpaper and black satin aerosol. Have primer and will see how it comes out before I decide on lacquer. Then having a knocking noise diagnosed on my way back and then i'll get to work on them. Will take some piccies of the process methinks

elnevio
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Yep. I figured that it would do as a short term solution, and once it started going rubbish again, I'd do it properly. But it hasn't got to that point yet! :rolleyes4