PDA

View Full Version : fitted in 10 min flat

VR4Kaos
03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
oh yeah :dance: just fitted my Sard 265lph fuel pump :evilgrin: :dance: "thanks Gowf":dance: in 10 min flat following Enigmas artical thanks Enigma also woop wooop :5shots:

Wodjno
03-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Just make sure you got the sealing ring fitted good n tight and not cross threaded /yes

Klasman
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice one :)

Just a question how does the standard fpr work with uprated pumps?
Should you also get an uprated fpr with the pump?

Oblivion
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
10 mins! Sounds like you could almost do it blindfolded :P Did you use the universal pump or one for the evo 7-9?

VR4Kaos
03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Just make sure you got the sealing ring fitted good n tight and not cross threaded /yes
done mate nice one

VR4Kaos
03-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice one :)

Just a question how does the standard fpr work with uprated pumps?
Should you also get an uprated fpr with the pump?
ive been told so so it on the agenda

VR4Kaos
03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
10 mins! Sounds like you could almost do it blindfolded :P Did you use the universal pump or one for the evo 7-9?
not sure bout were it came from only it a Sard 265lph and fitted like a glove:runkest:

pezza
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Yes, I remember that you learnt the dangerous way and almost took me out whilst doing this! :thinking:

Karl, I may have a sard adjustable FPR that I intended to fit to my previous VR, if you are looking for one, let me check tonght before I confirm

VR4Kaos
04-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Yes I may be intrested let me know mate nice one

Beastlee
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I haven't fitted an FPR, yet, and had no issues with fuelling. Inn fact I got better mpg once it was fitted. Will probably go down the SARD route as well but I remember Gowf mentioning another type that was better.

swinks
04-06-2010, 10:08 AM
IIRC, Ben from Eurospec recommended Aeromotive over SARD one, which I gladly followed /juggle

Gowf
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
The aeromotive one is Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge though, the sard is a nice neat thing!

The one I had was the bigboy sard one though.

It was the universal pump from what i remember. I can imagine it was very easy to fit!!!

Oblivion
18-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Have you had any issues with your Sard pump? I noticed it was shorter than the stock one but it all worked ok until 2 days later it wouldnt start! Back on the stock pump now...

VR4Kaos
18-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Have you had any issues with your Sard pump? I noticed it was shorter than the stock one but it all worked ok until 2 days later it wouldnt start! Back on the stock pump now...
not atal bought it off a cvr4 member and worked perfectly with no isuues /Banana

Gowf
18-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Yep they are shorter, but then so are the TRE's and the walbro's so you have the same issue where you just have to modify the holding bracket.

Never ever had a problem with the sard when it was in my car. Did what i wanted to do and never let me down

Oblivion
19-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys, maybe I just got a random dud one. I'll see if I can get a replacement for it.

Wodjno
19-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, maybe I just got a random dud one. I'll see if I can get a replacement for it.

Are you sure it wouldn't start at all ?

Because if the mounting bracket is not modified or an extra packing piece put at the top of the pump, it won't seal properly. This will then allow the fuel to drain back away from the fuel rail. Then each time you try and start the car the pump has to then pull the fuel all the way from the tank..

Cheers

Wodj

Oblivion
19-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Are you sure it wouldn't start at all ?

Because if the mounting bracket is not modified or an extra packing piece put at the top of the pump, it won't seal properly. This will then allow the fuel to drain back away from the fuel rail. Then each time you try and start the car the pump has to then pull the fuel all the way from the tank..

Cheers

Wodj

I tried the pump in my friends evo tonight and his car wouldnt start with it either.
The mounting bracket wasnt really modified - just a packing piece between the bracket and the pump and cable tie around it all to secure it all. If it was an install problem I would think I would have the problem immediately instead of a couple days later?
Hmm what you described sounds like what its doing now, I have to turn the car over much longer than before for it to start and the fuel pressure drops straight away as soon as the engine is off. Any ideas? I was just about to start a thread for this because its really annoying but hopefully it gets noticed here!

gareth001
19-07-2010, 03:26 PM
oh yeah :dance: just fitted my Sard 265lph fuel pump :evilgrin: :dance: "thanks Gowf":dance: in 10 min flat following Enigmas artical thanks Enigma also woop wooop :5shots:

Excuse my ignorance but isn't the fuel pump in the tank and if so how do you manage to replace that all within ten minutes?

elnevio
19-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the fuel pump in the tank and if so how do you manage to replace that all within ten minutes?
Because you only have to remove the rear bench seat, then four screws for the inspection hatch - and then the fuel pump assembly is attached to the tank with a sealing ring. Once that's off along with the attached fuel pipes, it's a bolt for the fuel pump to the assembly and one electrical connector. One of those things that if you've done once, it is a lot quicker the second time around.

gareth001
19-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Because you only have to remove the rear bench seat, then four screws for the inspection hatch - and then the fuel pump assembly is attached to the tank with a sealing ring. Once that's off along with the attached fuel pipes, it's a bolt for the fuel pump to the assembly and one electrical connector. One of those things that if you've done once, it is a lot quicker the second time around.

Thanks - now I know just in case I have to change mine.

GalantOnly
19-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Why such a hurry?! You forgot to enjoy the moment...:beerchug:

Wodjno
19-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Hmm what you described sounds like what its doing now, I have to turn the car over much longer than before for it to start and the fuel pressure drops straight away as soon as the engine is off. Any ideas? I was just about to start a thread for this because its really annoying but hopefully it gets noticed here!

have you put all the correct pieces back in the correct order ?

Where the Pick Up for the pump inserts you should have, in this order.

Small plastic washer
Rubber sealing ring.
Plastic plug that pushes down tight on the 1st 2 parts.

If not then it's prolly not sealing and the raeason it's drianing back.

Cheers

Wodj

GalantOnly
19-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I can only say one thing:

:unbeleeva

It takes me 10 min to only lift the back seat...:snore:

VR4Kaos
19-07-2010, 09:02 PM
cheers mate !:chugchug:

Oblivion
20-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you Wodj! When you asked if I was sure and described what exactly to look for I gained a little hope ....
I pulled out the pump again and it looked like the stock pump wasnt quite pushed in as far as it could possibly go, as you said that would mean the o ring wasnt sealed enough and would probably be the reason the pressure was dropping. Thinking this is what may have happened with the Sard one I took my time fitting it up again this time fitting a rubber bung type thing between the bottom of the pump and the bracket, making sure it was pushed up nice and tight. Car now starts and maintains fuel pressure after switching off :)
You just saved me and probably my wallet a whole lot of stress :D

Thanks also to the great how to fit fuel pump article: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4582&highlight=fuel+pump+fit

For anyone searching in the future for fuel pump threads, if you get a pump shorter than the stock one then make sure its secured enough to not slip down and loosen the seal.

Wodjno
20-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you Wodj! When you asked if I was sure and described what exactly to look for I gained a little hope ....
I pulled out the pump again and it looked like the stock pump wasnt quite pushed in as far as it could possibly go, as you said that would mean the o ring wasnt sealed enough and would probably be the reason the pressure was dropping. Thinking this is what may have happened with the Sard one I took my time fitting it up again this time fitting a rubber bung type thing between the bottom of the pump and the bracket, making sure it was pushed up nice and tight. Car now starts and maintains fuel pressure after switching off :)
You just saved me and probably my wallet a whole lot of stress :D

Thanks also to the great how to fit fuel pump article: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4582&highlight=fuel+pump+fit

For anyone searching in the future for fuel pump threads, if you get a pump shorter than the stock one then make sure its secured enough to not slip down and loosen the seal.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... :seeking: