PDA

View Full Version : Map2 ECU

VR4WGN
09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
hey guys wel las some may know my VR4 is back on the road with a great fuel consumption of 260km p/tank without fanging it..
SOOOO
i ask while im buzi building my new engine up is it worth me either tuning the car up,or throwing the Map2 in and road tuning it for the time being?
i keep getting boost cut and its spiking at times,so its only a temporary engine until the new 1 goes in so i dont care if i blow it,BUT i would like to have a bit more economy that 260km/tank tho..

she currently is running a 7202 ECU and a boost tap with a 3" Fuji System,Decatted,HKS Panel Filter,Factory airbox,and i havent installed the FPR yet tho,factroy intercooler system with a VTA BOV

any help will be apreciated,and is there any wiring manuals to install this MAP2 in our cars available?:book:
~Q~

bradc
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I would focus on getting it up to normal levels of fuel economy first. Possibly try a new Oxygen sensor, try a recirv or no bov and see if that improves things.

VR4WGN
09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
il ltry remove the BOV today or plumb the factory 1 back,and take out the MBC oxy sensor in the exhaust?

wintertidenz
09-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Maybe replace the MAF too, could be stuffed and hence causing the car to run rich.

Nutter_John
10-06-2010, 12:31 AM
why add a map2 when you have a mapable ecu , just does not make sense now given that most of the needed maps are known

bradc
10-06-2010, 12:43 AM
That is a good point, put in a 7201 and tune it, and sell the 7202

scott.mohekey
10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Why would you replace a 7202 with a 7201? The 7202 can be flashed in situ with no modifications. The only way to flash a 7201 at the moment is to swap for a pre flashed one from NJ or desolder the chip and flash it in a rom flashing tool yourself, then solder it back in.

VR4WGN
10-06-2010, 01:32 AM
scott theyr saying put a 7201 in and use the map2 with that and sell the 02 instead...

John who do i contact regarding the mapping? and wil i have full functions as with the map2?

VR4WGN
10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
ok iv put the factory BOV in and removed the tap and now i wait i suppose?

scott.mohekey
10-06-2010, 01:34 AM
NJ asked why you would use a map2 if you already have a mappable ecu. I took that to mean, why use the map2 if you can just flash the 7202.

Brad then suggested using the 7201 instead of the 7202, which to me doesn't make a great deal of sense.

mattnz
10-06-2010, 01:49 AM
scott theyr saying put a 7201 in and use the map2 with that and sell the 02 instead...

John who do i contact regarding the mapping? and wil i have full functions as with the map2?

Get the cable and do it yourself. I don't know of anyone who does it in NZ, so you might be able to drum up a bit of business if you can.

VR4WGN
10-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Get the cable and do it yourself. I don't know of anyone who does it in NZ, so you might be able to drum up a bit of business if you can.

your the it geek not me lol

bradc
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I mean using a 7201 + mapecu. I think this isn't a bad option as it will be easier to find people in NZ willing to map an ecu they are familiar with.

Plus 7202's are worth a lot more to resell.

scott.mohekey
10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Ah ok. Sorry Brad, I was thrown by your saying "that's a good point" directly after NJ's post.

This raises an interesting question though.. what benefit does a map2 give over a mappable stock ecu now?

bradc
10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Thats my fault, I was using the iphone and was trying to keep it short :)

Nutter_John
10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah Brad did confuse things a little there , my point was as pointed out why go to the expense of getting the map2 mapped when your 7202 can be mapped in the same way , no you will not get NLTS but your controling the actual map and not faking a single into it

VR4WGN
13-06-2010, 11:31 AM
um but you cant change the boost on the 7202 ey?? and with the map2 it allows more functions than the factory ecu correct?? otherwise they would not have bothered making an aftermarket ecu for sale then correct? my understanding of buying this ecu was that i can get better performance form my stock vehicle safely aswell as the ability to frequently change settings should that be needed,as for someone mapping the 7202's id like to know if there is someone that can confidently and safely re-mapp these for me .

VR4WGN goes in this week to get the Map fitted and road tuned,but i have been un succesfull in solving the problems, i changed everything back to factory and im pushing .9 bar upto 3rd gear at 4500 then raises to 1 bar,then redline change to 4th and peaks 1.2 bar at 4500rpm then dies(spikes and cuts out briefly) to .4 bar and then raises to .8 at 6000rpm then back down to .4 bar .
it was worse when i changed the afm and the relay on the firewall(fuel related correct?).

further what is the best way to test faulty 02 sensors? and where is the best place to buy new ones?

i am thinkin gwhen i drop the engine out again to replace the clutch in the next week or 2 i want to replace the plugs,Boost solonoids and check the actuators too,then insert my Gen 2 lifters into it aswell,hopefully itll all go sweet after that until the 04 conversion is complete.

thanx for taking the time to read my schpeel and please if you have any good info that may be of use to me id really apreciate it as you know im not too clued up with internals just yet but learning slowly..

Adam.Findlay
13-06-2010, 11:50 AM
if you reflash the 7202 you can change the boost and so on cant you? thats what they did with the 7201. just a bit of code re-writing which ill leave to the sofware gurus of the likes of scott.
and as a MAP2ECU is a piggyback doesent it just trick the factory ecu into outputting a more "performance orientated" output,??

Colin Wiltshire
13-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Ok just reading this I'm not sure if I still need my map2, Just got a ralliart 2001 galant vr4, don't know what ecu I have, wanting more power and I was told this was a good choice. not fitted yet, waiting on electronic boost controller and gauges.

apeman69
13-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Colin, I was in a similar position about a year ago but there wasn't the 'easy' option of flashing the ECU back then. I got a MAP2 and if I were in your position now, as there have been 'leaps and bounds' developments in terms of flashing/re-programming VR-4 ECUs, I would keep the factory ECU and get it flashed. This is as long as you have no immediate intention of upgrading the turbos.
If you would be happy with circa 300BHP (remember that your car is 8-9 years old and will more than likely not output 270+BHP any more) then flashing the ECU would be a good all-round way forward.
One thing to note though is that, with either ECU flashing or MAP2, if you add more performance mods in the future then it is likely that the programming of whichever ECU you have will need tweaking at least.
With either ECU you wouldn't need an electronic boost controller as the MAP2 controls boost and the factory ECU's settings would be adjusted to raise maximum boost.
I'd give the gurus at Eurospec a ring and discuss your options with them. I believe they're your best bet for getting your factory ECU tweaked or the MAP2 tuned.

VR4WGN
13-06-2010, 10:49 PM
can anyolne back this up or add to it as im really in 2 frames of minds now as to what to do!!! i have both ecu's aswell as 7201's

scott.mohekey
13-06-2010, 10:53 PM
The 7202's are flashable. Boost levels, as well as fuel cut can be changed as well as the full ignition and fueling maps. I can't say whether there is any features the map2 has that the 7202 can't do, but the majority of the reasons for getting a map2 are now doable with stock ecus. 7201s need special work (NJ can help here), 7202s and 7203s can be flashed with an OpenPort 2.0 cable and EcuFlash.

wintertidenz
13-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Get a 7202 flashed, the driveability from what I've read will be much better than what you will get with a Map-2 tricking the ECU with fuelling etc.

Only disadvantage to keeping the 7202 will be retaining the MAF, the Map-2 will allow you to change to a MAP sensor and remove the MAF entirely.

scott.mohekey
13-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the stock ecu's either have MAP support in them, or could be made to work with MAPs somehow. This is a very vague recollection though..

However, I also recall Turbo_Steve saying that MAF is far better than MAP anyway.

Nutter_John
13-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Scott they have sorted this on EVO's ( it's called speed density ) but thats a lot of coding which hasn't been done on the vr4

wintertidenz
14-06-2010, 02:15 AM
NJ - since our ECU's, particularly the 7202, are similar to the Evos, there's no reason why the code can't be adapted for ours :)

scott.mohekey
14-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Entirely possible, but not as easy as taking their modifications and applying them to our ecus. We need to disassemble and understand ours first to learn where similar functionality is.

VR4WGN
14-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Interesting boys . Some smart cookies here please keep them comming in I'm very interested

scott.mohekey
14-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Q, I will be flashing 7202s and 7203s before long. I'm just waiting for the various parts to arrive and then I will start learning what's involved with my car as well as a couple of volunteers down here. We'll be making very conservative changes initially.

Adam.Findlay
15-06-2010, 10:41 AM
If a map coding is added i am intrested i would like to do away with the maf and have a similar induction setup to bradc, tidy and effective

VR4WGN
17-06-2010, 09:24 PM
wel lcmon Scotty boy,theres MONEY to be made here.. otherwise whom in thw UK or AU does it? i will consider sendign it to you guys....Map2 Goes in on Monday,cas has bee nrunning sick as a dog..

when flooring it she is still spiking 1st-3rd upto .8 bar and 4th upward spikes to 1.2 and backs down to .4 or so... and when flooring it it feels almost as if the car is jolting abd boosts and jolts a bit and boosts thats if it does not hit boost or fuel cut,but im running everything stock in it,7202 ecu bla bla bla
any recommendations??
tried AFM and relay on firewall,no difference..

how or where do i buy new oxy sensor?

Turbo_Steve
17-06-2010, 09:31 PM
That won't be your Oxy sensor - more likely to be something not right with the crank or cam signals from the sound of things.

scott.mohekey
17-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Putting a Map2 on there isn't going to help. It sounds like something is wrong. The best thing you can do is identify what it is, and fix it. As Steve says, it sounds like it could be crank or cam angle sensors. Have you checked the alignment of the timing belt even?

VR4WGN
17-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Will do that on Monday and hopfully it'll fix thinxs then??

scott.mohekey
17-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Does it have a boost controller? If it doesn't, is the stock boost control solenoid plumbed in properly? It almost sounds like it has no boost control and the waste gates are just not opening at all.

VR4WGN
19-06-2010, 11:08 AM
now i think your onto something,but then again why only over boosting in 4th n 5th??

and evrything is stock in the engine bay now amn,even intercooler

scott.mohekey
19-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure why it would only be doing it in 4th and 5th. I would start by double checking the waste gate and boost solenoid plumbing.

VR4WGN
22-06-2010, 01:20 AM
hmmm,dramas... maby i shud drop the engine and go through evrything and replace new... and then i can do clutch and lifters at the same time maby...

blade8
22-06-2010, 02:18 PM
i came across this problem with a slightly earlier v6 vr4 after doing a clutch on it. it was either something to do with spark or vacuum. have been trying to remember since you took use for a ride on saturday

VR4WGN
24-06-2010, 11:13 AM
yea im leaning more toward boost or actuator now,but its hard to tel lwich 1 untill i drop the engine,still toying the idea of dropping it out starting tomorrow...or wether to wait a bit

shane050790
25-06-2010, 08:02 AM
anyone know what to do when your engine and TCL light come on after jump starting, they come on about half an hour after driving, hasnt done anything to the performance of the vechile???

VR4WGN
29-06-2010, 01:58 AM
yea its called try starting your own thread maby!!! thread hijacking is not coooooool

anyhow,map should be kinstalled next week,engine had major service etc and boost problem sourced and repairded,yay,economy still however seems rich

blade8
29-06-2010, 01:52 PM
what was the problem?

VR4WGN
29-06-2010, 07:52 PM
broken intake hose,you would not have found it if you didnt dismantle the system tho.. sux!!!

VR4WGN
12-08-2010, 07:15 AM
ok guys VR4WGN is in the shop and wont go...

the ECU is being installed BUT ,we seem to have difficulty getting the program and the ecu to connect.
2 laptops attempted with theessme cble ansoftware and no luck!1
we are using the USB port type cable,im not sure what its called but all i know is its not conneting so we cannot tune the ecu to the car../hammer \

any help please guys???

apeman69
12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Hev you got the port settings of the USB->serial converter cable and the MAPCAL software matched?

PC serial port is in device manager of PC: Device manager/Ports (COM & LPT). Properties of the USB to serial converter will show what port number is assigned to the cable.

MAPCAL serial port setting is under Edit menu/MAPCAL configuration and is the 5th item down. You can only set this from 1 to 16 so if the PC has assigned a com port higher than 16 you need to change the com port number of the USB to serial converter cable in device manager.

COM port numbers in device manager and MAPCAL settings must match.

bradc
12-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Got your text Q, I have no idea, I've never dealt with a map2

VR4WGN
17-08-2010, 07:01 AM
ok:quasi: im starting to doubt this Map 2 ECU actually works!!!
iv done everything asked for it to WORK but still it wont!!:embarasse
/Hmmm what to do now!!!

i go to connect ecu and it says
loading data............
and after a while says ECU Offline
connect again..
change some details and click save in Configuration and it says
MAP-CAL2
Error writing to NVRAM, try again

iv had enough of it now,wha tis going on!! what am i doing wrong!
its been 3 ****ing weeks of ****! im sick of it,

why me....../popcorn

scott.mohekey
17-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Is it second hand?

VR4WGN
17-08-2010, 07:47 AM
yes bought off Brad a LONG time ago,very long

Ryan
17-08-2010, 07:57 AM
To be honest I don't know anyone that has owned a MAP2 ECU and has managed to get it to work properly.

Gly
17-08-2010, 08:06 AM
had this issue when i set up my map 1,

something springs to mind about having to fill the map with 0's
and then resetting,

without actually looking at it in person i cant remember fully,

i sold mine before i got a chance to tune it,

mike ditched his as it kept loosing tune after the car being re-started (map2)

VR4WGN
17-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh man don't say that lol I'm losing faith now grrrrrr

VR4WGN
17-08-2010, 06:02 PM
No one got any ideas?? Plz it's been 3 weeks now of heartache,pain and unnessescary fuel consumption why ain't it straight forward. I'm running 7202 btw

hbkuk1
17-08-2010, 08:03 PM
ive had a mapecu2 before altho not on the vr4 i might fit it i might not. iirc i had this prob. have you tryed updating the firmware you can click somwhere "force firmware update" before you connect this will prob solve it altho you will have to reload your map and setting afterward

VR4WGN
18-08-2010, 06:34 AM
we have the latest version on the pc but still no luck.. im thinking that the ECU must be faulty!!!!! iv wasted $500 on installing costs now and the cost of the ecu and i couldhav put that toward a G4 Extreem or Storm but now its WASTED ****ing money.

Eurospec
18-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I'd say that is a firmware issue.

Firmware and software must match, and you must use map cal, as opposed to map cal 2.

On the 1's you have to reflash the firmware through a manual process including removing and repositioning jumpers.

If you have a firmware/software missmatch you will get what you have got going on.

Since you are in NZ i am pretty sure you could send it to PMR and they will reflash it for you to suit the later software. If you are stuck, call me and i will try and help you. Just remember the time difference.

Cheers,

Ben.

VR4WGN
18-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I'd say that is a firmware issue.

Firmware and software must match, and you must use map cal, as opposed to map cal 2.

On the 1's you have to reflash the firmware through a manual process including removing and repositioning jumpers.

If you have a firmware/software missmatch you will get what you have got going on.

Since you are in NZ i am pretty sure you could send it to PMR and they will reflash it for you to suit the later software. If you are stuck, call me and i will try and help you. Just remember the time difference.

Cheers,

Ben.
Oh manthank you so so much I really appreciate your time and effort thank you I'll get onto it right away

hbkuk1
18-08-2010, 08:21 PM
go with what ben said he game me loads of help with mine, hes the mapecu master

Eurospec
18-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry dude, i think i got confused. You have a map 2 right?

Its only the map 1's that need a reflash via a manual jumper.

With the 2's you can upgrade the firmware via the map cal software.

I still believe that the issue is non matched firmware and software though. If you have the latest version of mapcal (for map 2) then without connecting go into map cal config and tick the force firmware upgrade tab. Now connect to the ecu, make sure you use a serial port, not a usb adaptor as they can be really flakey with map cal, and you should be prompted to run the firmware upgrade. Just say okay and it should download.

After this you should be able to connect as normal.

cheers,

Ben.

Nick Mann
18-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry, Q, haven't been reading this thread. If I've got the gist of it right, you are always using the same usb/serial lead/converter to connect? I tried 3 before I got one that works. On the forums it's one of the biggest issues with the serial connection to the MAP2. Most laptos now don't have a serial port, just USB. So you need to buy a USB/serial interface. At least half of these interfaces don't seem to be compatible!
Ask around and see if you can borrow another one. On the one I've now got, it is a single USB connection into 2 serial ports. Only one serial port works, no matter how I have it set up. I get the exact error you get if I use my original USB/serial converter or the wrong port in my current one.

Hope that helps a bit.

ianb
19-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes, I had the same trouble but managed eventually to get the usb to serial converter to work eventually on port 1 (if I remember correctly). You could buy/borrow an old (cheap) laptop with a serial port.

apeman69
19-08-2010, 05:16 AM
I'd try com port 1 too. Worked for me.

VR4WGN
19-08-2010, 09:12 AM
ok update..:lost:

Success:unbeleeva

after the awsum help and wakeup call from Ben i was welding away this morning and it all hit me.. Facepalm)

Mason Loaded Map-Cal2 V3.1.3 on the laptops:vogel:
the unit came with a 3.0.3 version but mason couldnt get this to run aparantly,so i unloaded the 1.3 and reloaded 0.3 and we hav success...

its road tuned and goes good
the clutch is not going to last so its time to fork out pingers now!!!!
has a flat spot upon initial acceleration but is very responsive tho..
Economy?? um well we wont know just yet,

any one got any info or tunes i should tweak on it or??
ps thank you and apologies for all the hassles guys..

io feel somewhat shy saying Geartech didnt even realize they farked up and the customer had to show them where they did so i just kept quiete and did it on their lunch break
Q

bradc
19-08-2010, 08:14 PM
They should give you the previous hours free then!

VR4WGN
22-08-2010, 07:08 PM
ok its in and running but not how id expect... does anyome know of or able to supply me a base map for this?? i am currently running a 3000gt Base map system and theres flawa and the car is pretty much undriveable in some rev ranges

bradc
22-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Well a 3000gt is of course a completely different car! Who are these muppets installing it for you? It sounds like they have no idea what they are doing.

Nutter_John
22-08-2010, 08:43 PM
ok its in and running but not how id expect... does anyome know of or able to supply me a base map for this?? i am currently running a 3000gt Base map system and theres flawa and the car is pretty much undriveable in some rev ranges

Give the car to someone who knows what there doing or you will end up blowing the car up , sometimes you realy do make me screem at the screen

VR4WGN
23-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Give the car to someone who knows what there doing or you will end up blowing the car up , sometimes you realy do make me screem at the screen

wooops sorry daddy:oops:

ill listen to you lol:rulez: , ill park her up and not drive her maby?? or remove it and only run my ecu maby..?:3d:
im a bit scared now you guys say that koz there is some truth to it. ofcourse this is all new to me so please John dont eat me alive:evil3:

i didnt know any better... i want to take the car up to auckland on the weekend but i was too scared with it not running right,maby best for me to de-install it then,,ill not the wiring for my future install attemt and mounting of the unit when i drop the drivetrain out again in the very near future(1 month or so)

bradc
23-08-2010, 07:52 AM
It sounds like they are absolute idiots. I would not take my car there.

VR4WGN
24-08-2010, 10:38 AM
hmmm oh well im getting rid of it all,im going to install that new wrecks drivetrain..Brad i think you and i will have to go on a quarter mile race once its in i think...

ILLEGAL
05-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi VR4WGN, i finally register too the site . i also have the map ecu 2 installed (7G vr4)and tried to run it in kvf eliminate mode with the 3000gt map aswell, but it didnt even idle! so i have re-wired it to self learn mode.. i hope that once all the boxs are self learnt it will run in eliminate mode.. iv just got a big frame turbo for it. a/r.70 compressor housing with a 25G wheel and a td06 turbine. not sure how much better it will be over the td05hr but it wil look the part with out filter or pipe infront of it. any updates to your tune? did you remove the mapecu2?