PDA

View Full Version : Is it ice in my moustache, or have I blown a seal?!

elnevio
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, those of you that know me will be well aware that I can't even grow a moustache. :sombrero:

Anyway, I have some (car) symptoms, and I am wondering if it is the early sign of a turbo seal failure.

The Leggie was warm (had been driving for about an hour).

I was pulled over on the side of the road for about 10 minutes, with the engine just idling. I was then gasbagging (oh, surprise!) behind the car for about another 10 minutes. During this time, there was nothing visible coming out of the exhaust. Then, while stood looking at the back of the car, a lovely swirling wispy blueish cloud of smoke started coming out of the exhaust (almost the density of the morning exhaust vapour!) for a few seconds. The car generally seems fine, and I couldn't get it to repeat it once at home after leaving it idling for about 15 minutes or so, although I suspect it is repeatable.

On recent occasions that I've been followed by people I know, I've not had any reports of smoke or oil burning smell from them.

It was almost like a few drops of oil had been added into the fuel supply for those few seconds, it was that on and off.

So, those in the know, could this be indicative of any particular seal failing? Or maybe something else? All help gratefully appreciated. :)

The Vee
12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
It could be something simple like just an excess built up in the breather and happened to go through while you were there. I would expect a more continual smoke if turbo seal. Could even be a valve stem seal, but again I'd expect more after over-run. Oil level not too high?

elnevio
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Andy. :)

Oil level was just about on the maximum when I last checked about a week ago. I'll be having a look in a bit once it's cooled down anyway.

I guess it's more of a watching brief at the moment.

And I couldn't resist the blown-a-seal gag neither... /lol

peter thomson
12-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Ben explained this scenario as possible overfueling to keep the engine cool when I had a similar issue at the mot when the VR4 was left idling in a pretty hot conditions for a longish time though they were not that clear on how long it was sitting idling for

elnevio
12-06-2010, 12:05 PM
That's interesting too, Peter. I did think I got a whiff of fuel - although unsurprisingly thought not much of that when stood behind a VR-4!

Madhav
13-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I've had both valve stem seals and turbo seals on mine go. The difference is when the smoke comes out. Get a friend to look and see whether it's smoking on boost or on vacume. Let the car idle for 3 mins then rev it, if it smokes more so on vacume after idling then you know valve stem, if under boost it smokes then turbo seals. But get it diagnosed from a trusted mechanic. V s seals take a good 5-8 hrs work I'm told....

elnevio
13-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Useful info there. :thumbsup:

Fortunately for me, it appears that it does neither, so one of the other more innocuous explanations appear to fit the bill.