PDA

View Full Version : help me ,not running right

Wobble
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
just had a new rad put in by the father in law ,no problems there. he was a mechanic in oz
problem is i just took the car out and it is very lumpy on idle and when driving,havent driven it in a week but not noticed these before.
noticed a couple of things .

NO 1 - i normally drive in triptronic , gave it some beans and i can hear the dump valve on gear change( i have a stock recirculating one) not loud but noticable with the windows open .should you here it at all?

NO2 - when he replaced the rad a a few pipes came off aswell (airbox, ect) could he have buggered one up.

not happy RR day in a week and am getting worried that there is a big problem

just letting it cool down now but will try again in a bit.

oldgit9
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
im no expert but here's my thoughts.

no.1 i can hear mine if i drive it hard enough. so i guess yes is the answer to that,

no.2 check to see if all the connectors are in place correctly ie. the air box etc. he might have knocked one slightly and it's not sitting correctly or not pushed back in all the way. or it could have rattled off.

like i've mentioned, im no expert and i could be totally wrong. but im sure someone with a lot more knowledge will post.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
had a good look around in the middle of my journey couldnt see anything wrong .waiting for everything to cool down then i will check all pipes and connections. i dont need this

oldgit9
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
i dont need this

i know exactly what you mean. i was thinking the same, when i had the new aerodynamics package forcibly fitted to my car a week before japfest. i was not a happy bunny.

elnevio
12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Are you getting any error lights, e.g. TCL OFF, Skiddy Car, EML, etc?

Check the MAF is plugged in correctly. Check the connections on all your boost pipes - looks okay is not good enough, make sure they are seated securely, as sometimes they can come off but go back where they should be, albeit not sealing correctly - can be the same as if they have not been tightened up correctly.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
no error lights , maf is checked all pipes seem ok and have tightned them. can hear a hissing coming from right hand side of the rad whats down there?

swinks
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
no error lights , maf is checked all pipes seem ok and have tightned them. can hear a hissing coming from right hand side of the rad whats down there?

Looking from driver seat, on a right hand you have only turbo pipe from y junction to IC.
Other way round as above turbo pipe going to throttle and vacuum hose to dv.
That's what I recall to make pssst noise.

Whatever I'd check turbo pipes very closely, also dv and IC if not leaking. Symptoms you described are very like to air leak in turbo pipeing or wastegate. Warning lights are on only with big massive leak, not tighten clamps may not result in orange lights.

Have you removed plastic front turbo inlet due to removing thermostat housing? Maybe is not tighten enough whilst put back.
Y'know it's easy to forget 1 clamp...

elnevio
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
If you mean right hand of radiator as you look at it from the front - dump valve is at the bottom! I wonder if the little pipe is split or unseated.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
am getting out the spanners . will now recheck everything i can .

Wobble
12-06-2010, 05:40 PM
If you mean right hand of radiator as you look at it from the front - dump valve is at the bottom! I wonder if the little pipe is split or unseated.

will check now, thats were the hissing is coming from.. better put on my dirty clothes again.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
a pipe at the front bottom right(as you look at car) looks like it has come off . with engine running it sucks air . where does it go ? looks like you were correct nev

swinks
12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Seems it's one of dv hoses. One is going to front turbo plastic intake, other to turbo pipe (section between IC and throttle).
Very likely, somebody forgot to put first one back in place, or tight clamp.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
picture 1 a pipe
picture 2 a hole

am i right in thinking this is the dump valve and would i be coreect in saying that that pipe goes in that hole ?

it looks like my ****ing father in law has snaped the bit of plastic on the dump valve when he got his big hands in trying to disconnect the pipes for the rad .

anyway time to look for a new one then .need it by wednesday as thats when im going to take the wife to bon gay jovi.

thankyou all very much for the diagnosis will give you a big HI 5 next saturday.

swinks
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, thats vacuum nipple snapped. If problems with finding stock one, try Evo 6 - 9 one. Shape almost identical, but spring is harder (which is good for upped boost).

Wodjno
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I used Araldite to reconnect mine.. Still nice and solid /yes

If you can get it Araldited tonight.. It'll be hard enuff for use by tomorrow :)

apeman69
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
White Lightning has 2 for sale I believe and I think he only wants a fiver each though I may be wrong. If posted monday, could be with you by wednesday.
If you can patch it up then I've got my original one in the boot which you are welcomed to take FOC on saturday. Mine was making a noticable whoosh when I was using it though I had increased the boost! It may be OK for standard boost.

Wobble
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks Al , have pmed him hopefully he will get back to me tommorrow.