PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Help Required

2700gavin
14-06-2010, 08:41 PM
3 months ago power steering belt failed, no problem put on a new one and also changed the alternator one also. Since putting the new one on been having squeeling problems. My mate keeps tensioning it but behold started having problems steering. Looked in tonight and the belt only has two ribs left and is twisted. Whilst I'm changing the belt again what else do I need to look at as obviously something is wrong to only last 3 months.
I have searched the forums and so far have come up with a possible tensioner problem ?
Your advice would be appreciated.

Nick Mann
14-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Physician had a similar problem a few years back. He righted it by having a custom made pulley fitted with high sides for the power steering pump. The things I would check are:
The main crank pulley - this has rubber joints on and can cause issues if the rubber is perishing.
The power steering pump - there is some movement in the mounting bolts, so the pump has a small amount of movement. Maybe the pump isn't quite aligned with the other pulleys the belt runs on?
Fluid leaks - I was killing my accesory belts because the P/S fluid was soaking through a very old pipe and coating the belts in ATF. On cold/damp days I would get squeeling from this too.

2700gavin
15-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Cheers for that, will get on it ASAP.
I do love this website, everybody is so helpful.