PDA

View Full Version : Removing Silicon Spray from Dash Display

Barney
14-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Managed to get some "Armour All" silicon based shiny polish on the clear plastic of the hi-vis display.

Because it's plastic I stopped myself from diving in with harsh cleaners.

Can someone suggest the best cleaning method that won't cause damage to the perspex screen?

I have tried an aerosol window cleaner without success.

CHEERS!

Wodjno
14-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Managed to get some "Armour All" silicon based shiny polish on the clear plastic of the hi-vis display.

Because it's plastic I stopped myself from diving in with harsh cleaners.

Can someone suggest the best cleaning method that won't cause damage to the perspex screen?

I have tried an aerosol window cleaner without success.

CHEERS!

How about Soapy Water on a sponge ? More soapy than watery may i add /yes

VR4Kaos
14-06-2010, 11:47 PM
whats wrong with armor all ?

John TheAntique
15-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Silicon polish is the bain of the antique restorers life. A little like Brad and his mushroom debate we get sick and tired of telling people not to use it, especialy on good furniture. The trouble is initialy it does produce a lovely shine but repeated applications ultimately produces a sort of purplelish bloom for which there is no solvent to remove it without damaging the underlying surface so a full strip and polish is required.
Karl I don't know what the base is in armor is but this can be removed by either white spirit, meths or turps. One of those (try a bit in a corner) might help but basicaly your stuck with it. A wipe with a bit of kitchen roll every so often will gradualy remove it along with the dust.
I wait with bated breath for those who will say they have used Pledge etc for years and it gives a lovely shine.

psbarham
15-06-2010, 06:53 AM
brake cleaner?

VR4Kaos
15-06-2010, 08:06 AM
so what do you use

Barney
15-06-2010, 08:19 AM
To explain a bit more the cloth I used to clean the dash surround brushed up against the perspex along the bottom edge and up one corner. It has dried leaving a (semi) permanent smear that I couldn't get rid of - even with soapy water (that I failed to include in the first post). This smear was at first insignificant but it now seems to be getting worse; or is this just because we are getting more bright sunlight?

John, thanks! I'll try with white spirit, meths, turps suggestion.

HJM
15-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Try a proper polcarbonate renovator like Greygates - plenty of similar stuff on fleabay and works great for plastic lights etc.

mike74
15-06-2010, 02:48 PM
i always use lighter fluid (petrol) on any sticky marks

nerrr

Wodjno
15-06-2010, 03:00 PM
nerrr

Thats not Nerrr ?

Thats "Oooooooh Matron" /lol

mike74
15-06-2010, 03:12 PM
:d my bad