PDA

View Full Version : Proper VR4 With Cobra Alarms Warning

Twpsin
15-06-2010, 03:41 AM
I have had to have my Cobra 6422 alarm and 1984 immobilizer removed as I had my keys stolen over a year ago and no longer have the override / resetting key so when I went to the car and could not disarm the alarm it was an AA job.

The AA man came out and could not get the alarm to disarm. He did proved the fob was giving out a good signal.

The local auto electrician took the old one out and fitted a new one.

When I went to pick up the car he told me the immobilizer had only immobilized the start motor so if I had tried to bump start the car i could have start it.

It might be worth checking your cars by unplugging the alarm siren and try to bump start it.

On the plus side while we were driving along in the AA wagon Tracker phoned to say they have noticed my car was moving without the ignition on and was everything OK

Nick Mann
15-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I have seen this before too. And on a different alarm to a cobra too. I guess it's not that uncommon.

Twpsin
16-06-2010, 06:27 AM
I have seen this before too. And on a different alarm to a cobra too. I guess it's not that uncommon.

There are two points of immobilization available with the alarm the installer obviously could not be bothered to do a proper job

Nick Mann
16-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Yep - I think most Thatcham 1 alarms have a dual immobilising feature. But I have seen a couple where the installer just chose one.