PDA

View Full Version : Manual conversion: neutral start/inhibitor switch

gilly
16-06-2010, 02:56 PM
My auto to manual conversion is about half way through. Most major things are in, everything else just needs to be put back in now and do all the wiring.
This is a 2000 Type S VR4 if its of use.

My mechanic has asked me to find out how to bridge the neutral start switch?

Is the neutral start switch just another name for the inhibitor switch?

I did a bit of searching around but couldnt find any exact details on how this needs to be done (eg which wires to bridge etc).

Kieran
16-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it's the inhbitor switch. it's the connector that's on the selector quadrant on the autobox. Someone else who has done it might know what wires exactly, but I think it's a case of move the selector quadrant from P to N position (3 clicks), check which pins have continuity on the connector and bridge them on the plug as required.

I think!!

Might be worth waiting untill someone who's done it confirms, but I think that's right?!

VR4WGN
16-06-2010, 09:38 PM
theres a a plug with 2 large wires(thick) in it,its those 2,usually a black with red stripe and a white or white with a stripe either black or blue.. but you cant go wrong,its the onlt 2 big wires there... so cant go wrong,and reverse is blue with red and the other is green or yellow fro mmemory too,Kenneth can confirm the reverse wiring for you i think.. im sorry i do alotta conversions but always mean to write the colours down,i just look at it and know wich 1 rto cut lol...

Nick Mann
16-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Yep. Easiest way to be sure is checking the continuity on the gearbox socket, then make the connections on the plug. It has a connector with four large pins and six smaller pins. Two large pins need a permanent connection to enable the car to start, the other two pins can be wired through your reverse switch to enable the reverse lights.
The inhibitor allows the car to start in N and P - the reverse switch pins are only connected with the selector in R.

gilly
20-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys, my mechanic was able to get it sorted thanks to your help here.

My next question..is there any information on here regarding how the speedo needs to be wired up? I did a search but couldnt find much.

Thanks

EDIT: this might be some important info, the gearbox is from a 96 manual Legnum, but I am using the standard dash from my 2000 legnum auto type s.

Can anyone tell me which wires to connect to the manual speedo sensor from the auto loom the wire colours are different cheers

Nick Mann
21-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I think Peter Thompson worked out the speedo issue. The problem is that the auto VR4's made after the middle of 2000 didn't use a dedicated speedo sensor.

gilly
24-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Can anyone tell me which wires to connect to the manual speedo sensor from the auto loom? The wire colours are different, cheers