PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, I'm a complete idiot!

Ryan
17-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Fire victim had removed smoke alarm batteries

A 57-year-old man who died in a house fire near Papakura in south Auckland last night may have survived if he hadn't taken the batteries out of a smoke alarm.

Firefighters found the body of the man soon after they put out the fire in Garvie Rd in Hunua, 48km south of Auckland, about 11pm.

Fire risk manager George Stephens told NZPA today the fire was started accidentally.

"The man had been using his fireplace incorrectly by leaving the fire door open. He had also removed the batteries out of his smoke alarm which could have saved his life," Mr Stephens said.

He said the dead man was the tenant of the house, and he had previously advised the owner the smoke alarm was working, but he had removed the batteries because it was regularly being set off.

"This house is out in the country and it took us 15 minutes to get there from the time we received the call, which is normal.

"It is concerning and frustrating when people remove batteries from their smoke alarm. Anyone who is unsure whether they have their smoke alarm in the correct location should contact the New Zealand Fire Service, and we will go along and give them the appropriate free information.

"Smoke alarms should be fitted between the lounge and the kitchen, and there should be multiple alarms throughout the house," Mr Stephens said.

Dental records are likely to be used to formally identify the badly burnt body, which remained where it was found overnight.

Fire crews from Hunua, Papakura and Clevedon attended last night's fire, and the man's family have been contacted.

Mr Stephens said he has completed his investigation, and the incident has now been passed on to police.

I only have two words to describe this event: natural selection.

mattnz
17-06-2010, 05:56 AM
The guy in that news story is a bit of an idiot too tbh

:P

Teamllama
17-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Stories like this dont half scare me!

When i was a student some moron i was sharing a house with came back from a club off his head in the early hours of the morning and decided it would be a great idea to warm himself up by lighting a fire in the open fire place that hadnt been used in 50+ years. And so he "didnt wake us up" he took the batteries out of the smoke alarm. His genius idea to light a fire involved using chip board which likes to explode when on fire and after the fire was started he decided he was tired so went to bed with it still burning.

A couple of hours later i get woken up by another house mate who was woken up by the choking smoke filling his room after the unattended chipboard fire set fire to the entire front room including the old foam sofa!

Luckilly we all got out unharmed but the fire brigade said we were very lucky to be alive as often in these cases the smoke just doesnt wake you up!

I cant stress this enough but ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST ONE WORKING SMOKE ALARM!

djb160
22-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Darwin Awards tops these guys, but perhaps an honorary mention :D