PDA

View Full Version : who would win?

Scanny
20-06-2010, 12:11 PM
purely hypothetical buts its bugging my curiousity

stock VR4 legnum vs stock VR4 legnum with an EVO engine transplant

Ghost_2008
20-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Both engine develope similar power in stock form, the VR4 engine would come on boost quicker because of the smallers turbos, where at the Evo would come in a little later but very hard....... in comparison........... (this of course assuming that he Evo engine is of the same age as the VR4, obviously if the engine is and FQ___ the stock vr4 would probably look as though it's moving backwards......... so assuming same power)

Given the weight difference is in favour of the Evo engine but the VR4 developing boost sooner........ it's a close call......... either way the V6 would be smoother in power delivery and in the way it pulls, it may just take a win as I think it developes more torque, but only marginally.............

The real world difference is the fact that the Evo block as a much larger following and so has a lot more potential for big power gains, I think if the V6 had taken off in the same way you would be looking at big power in much more usable format............

lancerevo3
20-06-2010, 12:23 PM
that is a good one ,with evo engine carrying more weight
over a quarter mile it would be very close

bradc
20-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Through first gear from rest to about 5800rpm the VR-4 would be pulling away. From that point onwards the EVO engine would be coming back.

An EVO 4 makes 206kw and 353nm, so slightly less torque than our cars. They make max power at 6500rpm though which would give it a higher top speed with a VR-4's stock gearing.

Mark 4
20-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Like the sig Brad.

bradc
20-06-2010, 08:46 PM
It is aimed at someone in particular. It isn't true!

Scanny
21-06-2010, 05:26 AM
obviously if the engine is and FQ___
dont give me silly ideas. a leggie with a knackered engine and an EVO with a knackered chassis. that would be some combination of looks and power (400BHP if i remember correctly?)!

you are quite correct though. im thinking EVO 6 as a donor as the cars are very similiar so if someone wanted to do this (i believe someone has already) then that would be the easiest transplant to carry out. i cant imagine there would be too many issues with space in the engine bay and under the car

mattnz
21-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I would imagine that an Evo engine will drop straight in, as Galants were sold with 4G63s in them. There was one on Trademe a little while back.

bradc
21-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Using Cartest2000 software and assuming:

Stock power and torque for VR-4 and EVO 6

2100rpm slip launch for the VR-4 (it said this was optimal for the VR-4, otherwise it wanted to do a 5300rpm dump)

2700rpm slip launch for the EVO. It wanted to do a 6000rpm dump, but I didn't want to! Any lower than this and it would have been really really slow for a clutch slip start

30kg lighter with the evo engine. I beleive this to be about right based on the 8G 4G63 n/a versus 6A13 n/a weight.

VR-4 gear ratios. You will note that the VR-4 is well past it's peak power output at it's peak speed. If it had it's max power at 6500rpm it would have the same max speed as the EVO.

The summary is that the VR-4 gets off the line a LOT quicker due to making boost a lot earlier on and having a shed load extra torque down low. The EVO gets to 180kmh faster than the VR-4 but even at the 1km mark is slightly behind, albeit only 0.04 of a second behind!

The Vee
21-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Dutchdriver has certainly done this and was at japfest couple of years back. He said IIRC exactly what Brad had said in that once higher speeds were reached, the EVO lump did start to pull away. He did have to fabricate a different exhaust manifold to fit turbo into our cars, think there were clearance issues - not sure. I suspect also you'll need ecu and wiring etc. Oh and nearly forgot - his is a FWD only.

bradc
21-06-2010, 08:52 AM
With max launch speed, ie a 5000rpm clutch dump, you get the following figures. Again, the VR-4 pulls out to a lead at the start, but much smaller this time and the EVO is just in front at the 200m mark by 0.04 seconds and at the 1km mark it is 0.22 seconds ahead

Ghost_2008
21-06-2010, 10:19 AM
dont give me silly ideas. a leggie with a knackered engine and an EVO with a knackered chassis. that would be some combination of looks and power (400BHP if i remember correctly?)!

you are quite correct though. im thinking EVO 6 as a donor as the cars are very similiar so if someone wanted to do this (i believe someone has already) then that would be the easiest transplant to carry out. i cant imagine there would be too many issues with space in the engine bay and under the car

If you were looking at doing this conversion, I think the easiest way of doing it would be to fit the Evo lump from an Airtrek as I believe these were sold with the same auto box as the VR4........ so it should be easier......