PDA

View Full Version : What to do ?

Mark 4
20-06-2010, 08:58 PM
After a very poor RR result yesterday I pretty much decided that I was never going to learn how to map my EMU. I just don't have either the time, the patience or the mental capacity. I decided that the next mod would be a Vipec ECU fitted and mapped by Ben.

However, I have had a driveline vibration since I got the car back on the road. I thought this was cured when I fitted a second hand but good condition inner offside CV joint after incorrectly aligning mine. Seemed OK but driving to Guildford yesterday I noticed some vibration returning. This gradually got worse on the way home. Have looked this afternoon and the outer CV boot has split and is spraying grease everywhere so I am assuming that this joint has now passed its sell by date.

Now, if I get the Vipec fitted the joint is going to be under far greater stress and will give up quite quickly. The others could be ready to go as well. I could just get a s/h outer or shaft assy - or whatever - and hope that everything else holds up. Or, I could get new shaft assemblies. This means that the money is spent on drive shafts and I will have to wait longer for the Vipec.

So, what should I do ?

AlanDITD
20-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Get the car running right first mate....no point upgrading somthing and potentially causing more damage and expense...

Upkeep first...mods second im afraid!

Mark 4
20-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Should add that while the car was off the road I fitted polybushes all round, new lower arms (curved and straight), track rod ends and droplinks. This means that the front end has had a good service with the exception of the actual driveline components and the steering rack.

Kieran
20-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Another option, and cheaper.... Re-Boot the inner and outer CVs on all shafts and re-pack them with fresh grease - that'd probably prolong their life and mitigate further boot splits. And give you opportunity to inspect the cups/spider joints to see if any more of them are looking a little worn.

Wodjno
20-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Another option, and cheaper.... Re-Boot the inner and outer CVs on all shafts and re-pack them with fresh grease - that'd probably prolong their life and mitigate further boot splits. And give you opportunity to inspect the cups/spider joints to see if any more of them are looking a little worn.

I'd go with that also /yes

Gowf
20-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Have you checked for play in it? do that first then we can sort your emu out as a stop gap