PDA

View Full Version : anyone know if these are crap

jahooli
20-06-2010, 11:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Double-DIN-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigation-Sat-Nav-/350368977034?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GP S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item51939e508a#ht_12298wt_1139

any advice on sat nav/dvd players appreciated.

thanks

paul

BillHardy
20-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Paul,dont know much about this one but I recently got a Kenwood with seperate satnav unit and dvd with freeview tv from gowff and must say its a cracking unit,touch screen etc,a fair bit more expensive even used but a great piece of kit,suppose you get what you pay for,just depends what you want to spend.

apeman69
21-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Can't tell from the advert if the screen is in danger of catching the gear lever when it moves to allow disc changes. This could be possible with double din units with screens that open downwards and the screen travel during operation and the amount of available space may be worth checking out for any potential unit. e.g. my flip out screen obscures the heater controls when in use.

jahooli
21-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Can't tell from the advert if the screen is in danger of catching the gear lever when it moves to allow disc changes. This could be possible with double din units with screens that open downwards and the screen travel during operation and the amount of available space may be worth checking out for any potential unit. e.g. my flip out screen obscures the heater controls when in use.

good point, but does anyone know this make and if the system is pants?

John TheAntique
21-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I've got one . Certain people told me it was crap and wouldn't last. That was nearly two years ago and I'm very happy with it, in fact on a previous post I think I said delighted. Top quality it ain't but it does what it says on the box. You only need the screen down to put in a CD/DVD and then it can go back up and you won't be changing gear at the same time anyway. If you look around for a bit you may find one cheaper but watch the wording of the specs. "sat nav ready"or "ipod ready " or "compatable" doesn't always mean it's installed if you follow.

jahooli
21-06-2010, 08:00 PM
OK, thats good info, does yours have the sat nav and the lot?
how much should i be ;looking to pay.
does it get the digital interference when the ipod gets a message etc?

thanks for the advice

Paul

John TheAntique
21-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes its got sat nav, CD, DVD, blue tooth, ipod connect (but you can't drive it from the screen) (mines an antique pod anyway so I don't know if you can play pictures on it but I doubt it, aux inputs for rear camera etc.
, TV tuner (never had that working), SD card input and another SD card slot for the Sat Nav. It has two lots of outputs, one to speakers or the other to power amp. Anything else ask the seller. (or me )

Turbo_Steve
22-06-2010, 08:00 AM
The biggest question would have to be
"How does it sound?"

The second question would be:
"What's the Radio Signal Recovery like?"

These always seem a bit too good to be true! :)

Atik
22-06-2010, 05:27 PM
They almost always do exactly what it says it will do, but just adequately. These kinds of units dont always have the best user interfaces, they sometimes arent very responsive, but they do what they say.

I have had these in the past and ultimately, I got what I paid for. At the time, a similar specced JVC unit was selling for £350, but I bought one of these for £120 delivered. It did the job, but I wasnt happy with the way it did it. User interface was cumbersome, unresponsive, looked tacky, sound quality was below par, but worked; everything about it was below par, but worked. I ended up then buying an all-singing-all-dancing Kenwood unit for £550 and have been happy with that with no issues for nearly two years.

The units might have significantly improved since so its simply a case of buying it and seeing if you are happy with it. If someone else has one, maybe try to get a look at theirs sometime to see how it operates and if you can live with its pros and cons.

RussBird82
22-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Just Bought a King Cobra for £360 (inc postage) off Ebay. It has wifi, gps, DVD, IPOD, DVB-T. Had it fitted last week! No problems at all and the screen is nowhere near the gearshift when it opens

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180481819092

I'd also recommend the seller...very helpful with any problems. I paid an extra £30 postage to avoid the possibility of paying import duty.

Scanny
23-06-2010, 05:29 AM
:censored: satnavs /hammer /hammer /hammer