PDA

View Full Version : car mat issues

Scanny
21-06-2010, 09:50 PM
when i bought this car Bill mentioned a problem with the clutch pedal sticking and funnily enough, it did happen on my way home. i dont know if it was the same problem but the only issue i had was the same as my previous cars. the car mat had slipped forward and the front edge caught the clutch pedal as i was pulling away. the mats in this car are the fitted ones with the original dealers name embroidered but they dont have any way of securing them with the plastic thing that some come fitted with so i have come up with a solution
velcro coins (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 7897_langId_-1_categoryId_165691) i used the ones on halfords check out rather than this brand but they are 45mm too.
the easiest way to fit them in my mind was to stick one to the floor and rather than hope to line the other one up correctly, i stuck its other part to it then pressed the mat down onto it and left it overnight with some weight on it. its been a couple of weeks now and my mats havent moved at all but they can be removed for cleaning the car

elnevio
22-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Nice one! :thumbsup:

Scanny
22-06-2010, 08:26 AM
the problem with the clutch pedal will only affect the manual owners which are a minority but the mats slipping will be a problem for all owners. the passenger side was always moving but again, hasnt moved at all since i fitted the velcro coins. one just in front of the seat in the middle of the mat has been enough to hold it in place. i never use the back seats so i havent bothered fitting them to the rear mats

giblet
22-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Slipping mats are always a pita. My car came with what appear to be "genuine ralliart vr4" mats which dont seem to move much. Aftermarket mats are always hit and miss, although Canon make some good ones which can be cut down to fit any car.

If your halfords velcro ends up coming loose then I strongly reccomend the heavy duty velcro branded stuff. Used it to attach both my numberplates and they are still solid

Scanny
22-06-2010, 01:31 PM
i just had a look at the spare set i bought. it is the velcro brand. the packaging is different because i bought a couple of trial packs