PDA

View Full Version : Any MySQL experts please?

Ryan
22-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I installed MySQL server 5.1.48 on my webserver but in a momentary lapse of concentration, I fat-fingered my root password during the configuration stage so have attempted to blow it away in order to reinstall it.

However when I do so and I go through the instance configuration it somehow keeps prompting me for my old password (which I don't know).

To uninstall I have done the following:

* Stopped the MySQL service
* Removed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> MySQL key from the registry
* Uninstalled MySQL server from Add/Remove programs
* Deleted the MySQL folder which includes the my.ini configuration file

bounced the box

Logged in, gone to reinstall and then gets to the screen where it asks for current root password, new root password, confirm root password.

If I leave current root password blank and fill in the other two PW fields, i can continue but it stalls at the point of starting the MySQL service and after it has written the my.ini file.

I have encountered this problem before when I installed it on another server some time ago but I'm damned if I can remember how I got around this... I'm tired perhaps someone else has some ideas please?

The box is running Win2k3 R2.

scott.mohekey
22-06-2010, 10:06 AM
My guess is there's something else in the registry. Have you looked under HLM -> Software -> ??

Ryan
22-06-2010, 10:09 AM
My guess is there's something else in the registry. Have you looked under HLM -> Software -> ??

Nothing there I'm afraid Scott /wall

scott.mohekey
22-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Doh!

AlanDITD
22-06-2010, 10:20 AM
does this help mate

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-windows

you need to create a text file telling it to ignore the user name and password request? you can then change it once your logged in!

sodge
22-06-2010, 10:42 AM
does this help mate

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-windows

you need to create a text file telling it to ignore the user name and password request? you can then change it once your logged in!

Used this method before, works like a charm :)

Ryan
22-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks but I don't see how this is going to work in this particular case.The problem is that I have erased all conceivable traces of MySQL from:

* services
* registry
* hard drive

There is no MySQL service to stop because I've already stopped it and removed it along with the MySQL folder etc etc - gone, deleted. Rebooted.

So if it is gone, how the hell is it still knowing that I have previously installed it if I've removed everything? This seems impossible to uninstall cleanly.

andyleaves
22-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Just out of interest...
Have you tried to restore the reg from an earlier???
I know a lot of peep don't back up the reg, but it can save you a lot of hassle...

Ryan
22-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Urggh - I'm a knob, I thought that I had removed all the registry keys but I had in fact missed one - Scott you were right.

In my defence I'd been at work 14 hours so probably wasn't 100% "onto it". Thanks for all the replies :)

Ryan
23-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Deleting the HLM software key and all the rest does not a clean uninstall make. I forgot that there is also a MySQL folder under documents & settings\all users\application data :D

Removed this and it's now cleanly installed...