PDA

View Full Version : Nice Shiney Number Plates

ayebalpaul
22-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi folks,

Got my self a set of nice new number plates.

Take a look, like the wee touch at the bottom??

Cheers,

Wodjno
22-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi folks,

Got my self a set of nice new number plates.

Take a look, like the wee touch at the bottom??

Cheers,

Very Nice /yes

But Illegal /pale

ayebalpaul
22-06-2010, 10:28 PM
shhh, i wont tell if you wont!!!!

Very Nice /yes

But Illegal /pale

VR4Kaos
22-06-2010, 10:35 PM
illegal why?

ANTHONY
22-06-2010, 10:54 PM
illegal why?number plates must state a registard plate makers name.post code and bs number

waxer
22-06-2010, 11:15 PM
So did you buy them as show plates, ayebalpaul?

PS. I like them, and no copper will object to them as long as the lettering is standard (and the number is genuine of course!).

ayebalpaul
23-06-2010, 01:06 PM
They were bought from www.myshowplates.com but i intend to put on car. As you say the lettering is perfectly legal and standard, only the very small writing. Difficult to notice, hopefully i don't meet a jobs worth any time soon!!

So did you buy them as show plates, ayebalpaul?

PS. I like them, and no copper will object to them as long as the lettering is standard (and the number is genuine of course!).

gareth001
23-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Very Nice /yes

But Illegal /pale

It depends on the age of the car - if it's older than a certain age (it's 1990 something) then you don't need to have the printers name on the plates. Otherwise all cars pre this date would fail their MOT each year because the printers name will not be on the number plates...

Wodjno
23-06-2010, 02:37 PM
It depends on the age of the car - if it's older than a certain age (it's 1990 something) then you don't need to have the printers name on the plates. Otherwise all cars pre this date would fail their MOT each year because the printers name will not be on the number plates...

Thats not the reason.. It states somewhere on the DVLA site that nothing other than the Reg number and the makers name can be displayed on the plate itself.. But the makers name does not "Have" to be displayed..

ANTHONY
23-06-2010, 08:00 PM
From the DVLA web site

The Mandatory Typeface

All number plates made after 31.8.2001 must display the mandatory typeface. Number plates made prior to this date
must be substantially the same. An example of the typeface is shown below.

ABCDEFGH
JKLMNOPQ
RSTUVWXYZ.

The British Standard

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information:-
1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

Offences

It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.
For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted after 31.8.2001, “3-line” number plates are no longer permitted.

Rambaud
24-06-2010, 03:14 PM
What does requirement 2. refer to ?

The actual maker of the number plate, if different from 3.?

sonicsoundzdj
04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
i got pulled for my front plate i used to have on as it was tiny and he didnt say anything about my back plate and thats got my website written on it. like waxer said as long as its the correct size lettering you should be fine

Barney
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
The regulation (as quoted above) describes the minimum that must be on it - not the maximum. By what is written above you could have CLUB VR-4 on the number plate as long as you also meet the requirements of 1, 2 & 3.

That being said it might start to look pretty crowded and detract from what you want to achieve

funkstardelux
04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
i think it could be an mot fail ..not sure if poice will pull u up ..could if they wanted to,

Ghost_2008
04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
The Police aren't interested, look on the roads over the next week, I bet you, you will see at least one "illegal" number plate per day /per trip.......

Around here there are so many drivers which have private plates which have been altered to appear to spell out words, names etc...... Incorrect type face etc are very common......... however there is always the slight chance that you may come across a jobs worth, but in all honesty unless you have been pulled over by a traffic copper, beat plod will not spot it ........... as most beat plod will not know what to look for.....

funkstardelux
04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
yeah ghost is right really only traffic cops will know and now its summer one of those lovely road side stop checks they do with 10 cars and 5 bike coppers...ahh the fun of summer

Humpty's Revenge
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Guys can I just point something out. When you buy a car from a dealership 90% of number plates come on the cars with the dealers name on it.

So if you have to wait 3 years for an MOT you wont find they are an MOT failer possibly until then.

Plus why are the Police not enforcing this if it`s illegal?

Just a valid point I`ve noticed.

funkstardelux
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
depends on if your car look boy racer i guess..mind you i've seen plenty of x5 and range rovers with mega illegal plates..
depends if the coppers can be bothered.
i though all new cars had dealer names and postcodes..what i've seen

Roadrunner
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Guys can I just point something out. When you buy a car from a dealership 90% of number plates come on the cars with the dealers name on it.

It's not an offence to have the dealership name on the plates as long as, as Barney said above, the other mandatory information is there as well.

it is an MOT fail not to have the BS AU 145d information on the plate, but only if the MOT station bothers enough to be picky about it.

Humpty's Revenge
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
It's not an offence to have the dealership name on the plates as long as, as Barney said above, the other mandatory information is there as well.

it is an MOT fail not to have the BS AU 145d information on the plate, but only if the MOT station bothers enough to be picky about it.

:thumbsup: /Banana

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50493

John TheAntique
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Ha ha mine passed last week with that plate on. It failed on emissions at first but the thing that seemed to realy upset him was there were no HID washhers.