PDA

View Full Version : more power?

Big Ian
24-08-2004, 12:40 AM
:idea: i'll soon be on the hunt for more power from my GLS?
"without being silly" (ie,buying a bigger engine'd car!) :headsc: can anyone help with ideas? i have a couple of ideas for more power?but i'd welcome any serious help......

KiwiTT
24-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Your Sig says " IT'S MORE ABOUT LOOK'S,THAN POWER " Have you changed your mind.

Other then air induction and free-flow exhaust systems, i.e. better extraction and slightly wider pipes, I can't comment.

Note: Adding more power on a standard car will impact on other standard components. My brothers gearbox packed up because he had too much power. He had a 4 litre 6cyl, decatted, extractors and air induction.

Big Ian
24-08-2004, 01:25 AM
after 2 year's of keeping my car looking like it's fast......i think it's about time i made it live up to it's look's :-b it's pushing on a rather moddest 130+mph but i'd like it to be a bit quicker,one of the thing's i have in mind is a quick shift gear stick (does a FTO item fit my car?)also i'm getting a boost valve (fuel regulator) in a few week's,i'm not on the hunt for massive power gain's...i'm just trying to release the power better that i have.

enigma
24-08-2004, 07:28 AM
The only serious option is nitrous. :rolleyes5

For about £3-400 you could get hold of an extra 75BHP, while this wont really help your top end it will get you there quicker!

The only downside is insurance :lipsrseal :yakyak:

There is another way but you would be looking at serious money and its just not worth it! As you Cav days will tell you! ;)

Kieran
24-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Well, you've already sorted induction and extraction, and you're having a boost valve fitted to help with fuelling. I would suggest a rolling road session and then a re-chip to help realise the power gains now that the engine can breathe easier. A rolling road session will also highlight any flat/weak spots or areas where the engine could be under/overfuelling (which a chip would sort).

enigma
24-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Superchips list a chip for the Galant, £300 plus vat plus fitting and you get a mighty 8BHP extra!!! :rolleyes5

Japmetal
25-08-2004, 07:49 PM
After exhaust & induction mods things start getting expensive.

To actually increase top speed you'd have to custom rebuild your gearbox using different gear ratios - you can imagine how expensive that will be !!

getting there faster comes slightly cheaper, depending how fast you want to be. As Dave says, there's nitrous, which is a relatively cheap way to boost power considerably, although there are other things you could do first

If better throttle response is on the cards, you should consider uprating your fuel pump to get a more constant pressure without any funny spikes at the higher end of the range; Then maybe new cams, a port & polish on inlet, new exhaust manifolds, maybe even a gas-flow setup on the head to get things really breathing right.

After that, there's either rechipping or replacing the ECU, bigger injectors, the sky's the limit; But you really should balance the cost and hassle of all this [and insurance increases] against buying a faster model !

zedy1
25-08-2004, 11:02 PM
or a 4g63 turbo engine (maybe i could get hold of an evo 1 with the engine for a
£1200 :-D )

KiwiTT
25-08-2004, 11:18 PM
This Guy I knopw spent $15,000 on a 1980 Galant with all JapMetals ideas. He still wasn't satisfied. He now has a Turbo car (Albeit a Nissan 200SX). It's amazing what one or two of these little bolt-ons will do.

Big Ian
26-08-2004, 12:02 AM
A rolling road session will also highlight any flat/weak spots or areas where the engine could be under/overfuelling (which a chip would sort).
do you really think my car has a flat spot Kieran? :laugh: :laugh:
(i still can't get that BMW out-ma head)
back on topic,you have seen my car go and ive driven one other GLS which felt quite a bit slower...i may be talkin out my butt!...but i'm wondering if it may already be chipped?

rolling road...soon i think,may even see what the cost would be to have it run before and after the boost valve is fitted?

also...you should have kicked ma ass on sunday....i was to give you a shot of my car...... :sad3: sorry,.. next time

Kieran
26-08-2004, 08:00 AM
also...you should have kicked ma ass on sunday....i was to give you a shot of my car...... :sad3: sorry,.. next time

Hey, no worries. There'll be plenty of opportunity for that :) Maybe at the 'Pod meets? You see, now Kierancorp towers is here (subject to survey and all that rubbish), I will have some spare rooms available!! :-b So people like you can come over and stop the night, which should break up the journey quite nicely for you?... Just a thought! :)

colVR4
26-08-2004, 09:14 AM
I have a guaranteed 1-2hp coming my way....

...just need to get some of these beauties

http://www.teleadhesivo.com/default.asp?navegacion=categorias&vista=lista&categoria=3&pagina=1&texto=&producto=0

Top site actually now that I've had a look

http://www.teleadhesivo.com/default.asp?idioma=2

Bit wary of the insurance issues though that have been discussed lately

Japmetal
26-08-2004, 06:51 PM
or a 4g63 turbo engine (maybe i could get hold of an evo 1 with the engine for a
£1200 :-D )

The Evo 1 engine won't fit an 8G Galant, since they were mounted the opposite way around - however, if you can get on at that price I know of some mad Welsh chappie who'd be moret han interested :lipsrseal :rolleyes5