PDA

View Full Version : Performance loss with rising temp...

Youssef
23-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok guys I have a bit of a tricky one for you, I know some of you may think it's my imagination but I have noticed that whenever my temperature guage needle reaches half there is a decline in performance. When I start driving the car it pulls really nice, puts you back in your seat, but after a few minutes of thrashing and the needle reaches half the car just get lazy and seems to not want to rev out as fast, so what do you guys think is causing this. The car is a 97 PFL Galant auto Type S with 3" free flow exhaust, front mount intercooler, HKS EBC (set to 14 -15 psi) and HKS VTA BOV. As some additional info, the Thermostat is out of the car (I got it like that and only found that out recently when was tracking down an over heating issue), both fans are hard wired through a relay to always be on and the AYC light is always on. So what do you guys think could be the issue.

lancerevo3
23-06-2010, 05:07 PM
you shouldnt thrash it until it is all warmed up firstly.
secondly is the overheating fully sorted or just bodged?

elnevio
23-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds like the ECU will be adding more fuel as the coolant temperature goes up, and probably pulling the timing. It's doing it's job - i.e. protecting the engine by trying to bring the temperatures down!

Youssef
23-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I should probably clarify it's not a matter of thrashing when the car is not warmed up, if I drive at a regular pace and stay off of serious boost the car never reaches operating temp, this is due to the lack of thermostat. The cooling issue has been sorted, the previous owner had the fans wired directly to the battery through a very small switch usoing what looks like 10 or 12 gauge wire. So i had to rewire them with thicker wires using a relay so that they get the correct amperage. I also suspect that the temperature switch is a bit dodgy and that is why he hard wired the fans in the first place. Either way I am kinda liking the idea of the car dumping more fuel and pulling timing when it moves over to the warm map as my car tends to run pig rich when we hooked it up with a wideband. I really need to get that emanage installed asap.

Wodjno
23-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Dumping or adding more fuel will just make it run even richer ....

Youssef
24-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Well I was thinking more along the lines of scaling back fuel, I know I would have to get an Ultimate to be able to do that, but there are a couple tricks you can pull with the blue to get similar results. Failing that i will have to try and look for a reflashable ecu because I am absolutely not willing to go stand alone.