PDA

View Full Version : Manual conversion: wiring the speedo

gilly
24-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Just following on from my other thread (I figured this question deserved its own thread)....

I did a search but couldnt find much.

Can anyone tell me which wires to connect to the manual speedo sensor from the auto loom? The wire colours are different.

This is a 2000 Type S VR4 using a 1996 Manual Gearbox.

Cheers.

gilly
05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, well over a year on and my speedometer still doesnt work.
Just wondering if anyone in this time have done the manual conversion on a 2000+ legnum?
Apparantly the speed sensor is a bit different on pre mid-2000 legnums (mine is late 2000).

If anyone can help I would be hugely grateful!

Just some additional info, we kept the original auto wiring loom, but used the manual ECU.

GalantOnly
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Do you remember the wire colours?

gilly
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Do you remember the wire colours?
Nope unfortunately not. My mate/mechanic did the conversion. I recall though because of the fact that my car was built late 2000, but the gearbox was from a 96, it wasnt a simple plug-in job. Something needed to be spliced somewhere.

GalantOnly
05-03-2012, 04:53 PM
If your car is still 180km/h limited... Does the speed limit work?

Nutter_John
05-03-2012, 07:08 PM
By the sounds of it your old auto gearbox was a 3 plug jobby , in which case it does not have a speed signal in the engine bay and you will need to provide the manual gearbox speedo sensor power /earth and a signal line - this signal line then needs to be fed into the cabin and spilced behind the dash to the speedo line (behind the clocks )

gilly
06-03-2012, 12:09 AM
If your car is still 180km/h limited... Does the speed limit work?
I assume they are speed limited from Japanese factory or is that a UK thing part of compliance? I assume given the car has no way of telling what speed I am going the 180 restriction would be off.
Having said that, a bit irrelevant to me, I've never been that quick in my car and dont have any plans to! (unless someone gives me free access to a raceway or airport runway?)

By the sounds of it your old auto gearbox was a 3 plug jobby , in which case it does not have a speed signal in the engine bay and you will need to provide the manual gearbox speedo sensor power /earth and a signal line - this signal line then needs to be fed into the cabin and spilced behind the dash to the speedo line (behind the clocks )
Thanks heaps for that! That might just be the info my mechanic needs. You dont happen to know what colour the signal line wire is do you?