PDA

View Full Version : Alternative oil?

Danj
25-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Just a quick one, I need to do an oil change urgently but havent got time to wait for Amsoil to come through, whats the best alternative that I can get over the shelf so to speak?

Really dont want to cause myself any grief but it really needs to be done this weekend!

Dan

elnevio
25-06-2010, 11:56 AM
What are you going to be doing with the car at the weekend? Tracking it?

Danj
25-06-2010, 12:01 PM
No just normal drivin Nev, I was a bit of a silly boy the other day and slightly overfilled it /pan. Soooo now needs a change sharpo!

elnevio
25-06-2010, 12:07 PM
So it's got a bit frothy then!

Can't you drop some of it out? Or once it's badly aerated, is it no good (I've not really considered that point before)?

As long as you keep off load/boost, you could get 5L of fairly cheap synthetic (or even semi-synthetic), seeing as you'll be changing it after a few miles anyway.

Danj
25-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Hmmm I guess I could just drop some out, I drove it for a good 40 miles before i realised - (there was an awful lot of smoke bellowing out the exhaust so i'm praying i've not done any lasting damage!)

Is there anything else I should get checked or do you think I've managed to get away with it?

amsoil
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Very unlikely to have caused any problems besides burning some of the extra oil the crank etc chucked up the sides of the bores. There will be nothing wrong with the remaining oil; just get the levels correct.