PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs changed........ JEEZ!

chris_c201
27-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Well, at 11am this morning i headed down to the car to change the plugs, hoping i'd be back in the house for 1ish...

2pm i finally finished... without stopping at any point other than to read up on the notes / pictures on the excellent guide in the articles section.

It's technically not a difficult job, just a hell of a lot of things to remove and replace just to change the plugs!

Rear centre plug had the usual (from what i've read) oil in the chamber so i may have to get back in there to change the seals at some point, there was a little smoke when i started up but i'm assuming that is just a little oil burning off in the cylinder and should pass?

Next job is to remove the stepper motor and give it a clean, my car is a little lumpy on idle and when i touch the accelerator and rev to about 2k rpms it seems to "hang" there for a few seconds before dropping back to the regular idle... hoping cleaning the stepper motor cures this, any thoughts folks?

Anyone in the Glasgow area needing a hand to change their plugs gimme a shout, not exactly an expert but sure i could lend a hand...

P.S - Replacing the front turbo pipe bolt was a friggin nightmare, was so paranoid about dropping it the whole time!

Cheers,
Chris

Wodjno
27-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Tip on fron Turbo pipe bolt.. Couple of small bitz of Blutack, 1 each side inside the socket.. Keeps the bolt nice and secure in the socket /yes

chris_c201
27-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a good tip! I went for the contortionist approach to get it started... Didn't really work altho the bolt perched in place... Managed to get the socket on an extension on it and turn "hopefully", thankfully it caught!

Turbo_Steve
27-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Blu-Tak

I hadn't thought of Blu-Tak - I've always used a dob of hot glue, as it goes hard and just pulls off. Fnarr Fnarr.

andyleaves
30-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I remember doing the plugs o my galoon, it was after doing that, i decided to have someone else do it for me...

I'll prob do it myself just need to set aside a day for it. lol

Turbo_Steve
30-06-2010, 11:05 PM
It's dead easy the second time :)

Nick Mann
30-06-2010, 11:15 PM
It's an hours job tops once you are used to it. But it does take longer the first time! :D

Wodjno
30-06-2010, 11:26 PM
And even quicker if you don't completely remove the intake manifold /yes

steelie600
30-06-2010, 11:59 PM
And even quicker if you don't completely remove the intake manifold /yes
seconded!! 1/2 hour job if you just move the plenum and not remove it

chris_c201
01-07-2010, 09:14 AM
30mins, surely not... I just loosened the plenum, reckon i could do it in about 90mins second time round but 30mins sounds well out of my spannering league!

VR4Kaos
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
seconded!! 1/2 hour job if you just move the plenum and not remove it
:unbeleeva you done mine in bout 20/30 min init Kev :whistle :unbeleeva

HPRULZ
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
hope u did the leads while you were at it! otherwise u gonna find out how quick you can do it again real soon.

kev

VR4Kaos
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
hope u did the leads while you were at it! otherwise u gonna find out how quick you can do it again real soon.

kev
/Wyhy lmfao:smoking: