PDA

View Full Version : Dry bearing sound, I'm sure it's nothing?

Brind
24-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Bare in mind my VR-4 doesn't go for a run all that often and sits on the driveway most of the time.

When the car is started the alternator belt/pulley makes a consistant dry bearing rubbing sound, it makes no difference in sound or volume when the revs rise and fall.

I'm 95% positive it's the alternator but haven't had chance to make 110% sure of it.
Even on a long run of 200+ miles here 200+ miles there constant, which it has done recently; doesn't seem to shut it up or quieten it a bit. Which I would have thought would have cleared away any rust on the shaft of the pulley.

Anyone else getting this? or think it could be the power steering belt instead as I'm having nightmares about that after Zedy's problem and Dave's recent problem.
I'm sure it's not, but it's worth asking.

Cheers.

wirdy
24-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Mine does this periodically, and the car gets the same sort of usage as yours. There was a thread mentioning this some time ago - I tried the advice & it works a treat.......rub some candle wax on the inside of your belts.......smooth & silent ;)

Even if it isn't dry belts, at least it gets that out of the equation.

SGHOM
24-08-2004, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=wirdy.......rub some candle wax on the inside of your belts.......smooth & silent ;)

.[/QUOTE]
but dont let the wifes hair get in the way !! :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 :$ :$

zedy1
24-08-2004, 10:42 PM
could possibly be the crank pully loose or warped, just start the engine and have a look at the crank pully :rolleyes5

Brind
24-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Cheers, I'll give it try. :)

I hope you're wrong Mo! :rolleyes5

Cheers.