PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Slurp Spider/Google spider

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Please excuse my ignorance but what are Yahoo! Slurp Spider/Google spider?

As you see them alot when viewing who`s online. There is also something else that is lurking there sometimes but I can`t remember what it is plus not seen it for a while.

/thankyou

Wodjno
28-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Summat to do with search engines gathering information.. I think ??

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Summat to do with search engines gathering information.. I think ??

Ah now that sounds fair! you see them all the time and wondered what the hell they are.

Cheers bud

Ryan
28-06-2010, 09:04 AM
This may be of interest: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/search-engine1.htm

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 09:10 AM
This may be of interest: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/search-engine1.htm

Thanks Ryan that is interesting. So they are basicly harmless?

Ryan
28-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Yep, venomless spiders :p

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Yep, venomless spiders :p

/haz

Turbo_Steve
28-06-2010, 10:18 AM
They're harmless on the basis that they don't do anything destructive.
If you take the view that they gather as much information (personal, commercial or otherwise) as possible from anything connected to the internet. And then make it public.

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 10:37 AM
They're harmless on the basis that they don't do anything destructive.
If you take the view that they gather as much information (personal, commercial or otherwise) as possible from anything connected to the internet. And then make it public.

So if they troll sites like twitter, facebook Etc and you have all your details on there just for the people you choose to let them see these bots get it and make it public yes?

I don`t use any of those sites as I don`t see the point in letting the world know your inside leg measurements plus some insurance companys are not covering you if you are a member of any such sites. Reasoning behind it is you get idiots saying 10 days to our holiday, 9 days, 8 Etc. Why not just tell the thief where the keys are!

Turbo_Steve
28-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Social networking sites have now controlled the amount of access these bots are allowed - in the exact same way that CVR4 does. This offers a pretty good degree of protection - as long as your Social23 Networking site keeps doing it's job properly!

By the same token, the Spiders aren't really optimized to trawl those sites - the search engine companies know that it's protected data, and so tune the spiders to find particular, publicly available data, whilst the social networking sites tune the dataset that spider sees to try and ensure they get a search engine hit first, with a relevant link, but no additional data.

You might be interested to try typiing your name into google, or 123people.co.uk

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Social networking sites have now controlled the amount of access these bots are allowed - in the exact same way that CVR4 does. This offers a pretty good degree of protection - as long as your Social23 Networking site keeps doing it's job properly!

By the same token, the Spiders aren't really optimized to trawl those sites - the search engine companies know that it's protected data, and so tune the spiders to find particular, publicly available data, whilst the social networking sites tune the dataset that spider sees to try and ensure they get a search engine hit first, with a relevant link, but no additional data.

You might be interested to try typiing your name into google, or 123people.co.uk

Steve just looked up my name and one of the only thing I can find about me is a long jump record I still hold way back in 1978./Banana