PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: New Forum Title/Subject

Barney
30-06-2010, 09:19 PM
One of the many things that any newcomer to the marque is faced with is not only the idiosyncracies of our cars but also a widespread misunderstanding of what should happen and particularly "How it works".

Yes there are useful articles that tell us how to replace item A, B, C, or if unlucky all 3. but that is two steps after:
a. comparision with standard function, and
b. identifying what is wrong.

So my suggestion is a new forum entitled "How it Works".
There are obvious subjects like AYC, ASC, ABS etc but there are other smaller topics such as the Idle Control Valve/Stepper Motor -- what exactly does that do and how does it do it.

Before deciding on this consider please that the wider our base of knowledge the better condition will the cars be that come onto the market and that will/may reflect on the general price that these cars achieve.

And to those that already know, try to understand the predicament of others./Hissy

Thank you for reading this suggestion.

lancerevo3
30-06-2010, 09:21 PM
sounds like a good idea

Mark 4
30-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Totally agree. None of us are too old to learn either.

c0xxy
30-06-2010, 09:34 PM
got to agree, think it would be bloody brilliant!

AlanDITD
30-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Very good idea for a section, i agree :)

Pastor of Muppets
30-06-2010, 10:13 PM
i have to admit as a total novice to these things it would be great to have a easily navagable resource
could we have a glossary of terms too

Nick Mann
30-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Not a bad suggestion. Implementation could involve a fair amount of work though.....

And with regard to
None of us are too old to learn either. it seems that you haven't learned the art of keeping a vr4 functioning yet! :P This proposed new forum could really help! /pan /rally /duh :D

Wodjno
30-06-2010, 11:00 PM
A link to "How Stuff Works" would do the job /yes

And this site is in my Favourites /yes

http://www.autoshop101.com/

Barney
30-06-2010, 11:36 PM
A link to "How Stuff Works" would do the job /yes

And this site is in my Favourites /yes

http://www.autoshop101.com/

Glenn,

/YMaster Very useful indeed, but it isn't type specific and tends to be written in techspeak. As I tried to imply in 1st post, it needs those that know to write for them what don't in simple to understand terms!

I would have thought if adopted the committee could agree a framework for many contributors to post into. Then perhaps a little bit of tidying by someone in the know. Many hands make glove makers rich etc

Nutter_John
30-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I have raised this for discussion as I think it is a good idea , watch this space

Barney
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I've just checked How stuff works for the example I quoted "Idle Control Valve"
All HSW could say in the search I did was that it controls the idling of the engine. It doesn't go on to explain HOW IT WORKS and why for example a clean of the area in which it sits may/may not work. It doesn't explain that it is sealed for life and can be goosed if the plastic bit is taken off AHEM! Nor does it explain what happens when it activates by a signal from an ECU.

It may be very obvious to you but I ask again that you step back from your position of knowledge and view from the other side.

My own experience has been costly (£675+ wasted) because to my mind there wasn't a clear understanding available of the importance that the steering wheel "hall effect" sensor has on the ASC. I do not blame anyone because all info is given on this forum in good faith and I accept that. I'm sure that HSW will tell me all about Hall Effect Sensors but doubt that it will integrate the info into how it works in our ASC/AYC equiped cars.