PDA

View Full Version : Door card trimming

The Vee
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Pics of door cards trimmed with moquette.
Have just done bit of a write up but it failed to load, so here are the pics again!!

Nick Mann
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Andy, do you like stroking your car? :inquisiti :P

Barney
01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Saw this last Saturday. Work of art mate - tres posh!
Looking forward to the how to ....

martin_y
02-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Do the screws have those coloured plastic caps that go over them? How do you get them on once removed?

The Vee
02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Do the screws have those coloured plastic caps that go over them? How do you get them on once removed?

Yes and just push hard and they click back on.

The Vee
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
;)
Andy, do you like stroking your car? :inquisiti :P

What's a crankshaft got to do with door cards? /pan :d ;)

aboo
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice work Andy looks good.

Spirit
02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
It looks even better in the flesh (so to speak) - nice work mate /yes

Atik
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Good work Andy :)
The Scud - now with added waft quality door cards :p

I'd expect they would help a little to keep the noise levels down inside the cabin area wouldnt they? I played around with the idea of reskinning the door cards or sound deadening the doors, but decided it was too much effort! /lol

The Vee
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Yep does deaden the interior a little. While they were out, put some sound deadening in doors as well, plus a set of Kappas. One of those I'll just do that jobs that turns into a whole series of things! But yes - time consuming and very fiddley

Mark 4
02-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks good Andy, interested in the how to as I did mine about 18 months ago.

Used some black faux suede and it's all faded. Gonna get some better cloth and do it again sometime.

Wodjno
02-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Also seen this in the flesh, an must say it does look a quality job /yes
Much better quality than the "How to" :D

andyleaves
02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
tissue, please

The Vee
03-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Much better quality than the "How to" :D

Cheeky bugger!!

I will write up another guide. Don't know what went wrong, but I wrote it up then went and made a coffee. When I came back, uploaded those pics and pressed the submit button. Site froze and when I got it back all had gone:o
I try again tomorrow - or is that today - I'm on nights /pan

The Vee
06-07-2010, 07:47 PM
By popular demand(!) a sort of write up.
Just a couple of notes first though; This is a messy, fiddley, time consuming job with a risk of replacement door cards being required.
This does add weight, so if your .02 of a second on the quarter mile or the ability to chase Evos round the ring is in question, then it may not be for you /pan
This is based on a saloon. On the estate / leggy the fronts are the same, but the rears will require similar procedure to the fronts on the speaker grill bits. I believe the actual door card fixings to be similar.

So,
No1 Remove door cards:

Lower windows right down
Remove Tweeter casings (front doors)- Squeeze wiggle and pull gently away
Remove capped screws from door cards. 3 front doors 2 on rear doors (gently prize caps of with small screwdriver or similar.
Inside finger recess on armrest/door pull, remove small plastic plate in bottom revealing another screw - remove screw and gently ease out plastic finger recess.
Pull chrome door opener towards you (as if opening door) and locate small black screw and remove. Then remove plastic trim that sits bhind opener. Again pull opener towards you and platic trim piece slides sideways over chrome handle.
Card is now held on by press studs along the bottom and a couple up the sides. Feel along the bottom edge of the card and give a sharp tug with your fingers and they will pop out. The side ones will now be easier just to work your fingers up and tease them out wit a little pressure. If at the bottom you can feel it being less flexible near the studs, that is where to pull as less risk of breaking them. Once all studs are popped - DO NOT pull card back too far - we have some wires still connected.
Pull back at the bottom just enough (front doors) to twist and remove bulb holder from door light in bottom corner. Then on all doors pull back just enough to put arm up from bottom to squeeze locking clip on plug for window switches and pull out. Leave plug loose and remove arm! On drivers door gently ease out switch pack.
Now you can pull cards out a little further to check all studs are out and then lift cards upwards to unhook from aperture at top. Dont pull cards outwards too much while doing this as it will cause them to bind at the top. You will have to fiddle a bit as they are a bit tight.
And there we have it - door card off. From here I went on to remove more stuff from the doors and cavities for soundproofing and wax treatment, but not really relevent to this job. If you want further notes on that then shout.
NB When removing the finger recess from the drivers door, you will have to also tease up the front as it is one piece with the switch pack. You MAY have enough wire to remove the plug once this is raised - mine did. On the other cards the procedure is as quoted in summary as the small single switches stay in place and cannot be removed until cards are off if required.

No2 - Strip door cards; TBC shortly!

Davezj
06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
quality of the job looks great, fit and finish lovely.

not sure about the colour!

The Vee
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah colour is slightly lighter but looks ok in the flesh - Did consider black, but ofcourse any colour could be used

Mark 4
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Where did you get the fabric Andy ?

Is it fade resistant ?

The Vee
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Got the trimming from Woolies of Market Deeping. It's the moquette stuff - they use it for Rovers and Jags and the like. As for fade resistance - not sure mate - guess time will tell!

Mark 4
06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
OK Andy,thanks.

Davezj
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
i have some faux alcantera, and was going to try some covering on the inside of the car. so i will be look out for the write up.

White Lightning
06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Looking good /yes