PDA

View Full Version : Vibration issue

andrew38
05-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I have got vibration coming through the steering wheel, faster you go the worse it gets, wheels have been balanced twice but to no avail, also the steering wheel feels to go 'light' as well. I am at a bit of of a loss, had an advisory that the prop shaft mounts were beginning to get a bit worn but the vibration is worse from the front, though you can feel a bit through the front seats.

After searching through old posts this does seem to crop up but no one has posted a resolution to it as far as I can see. Any advise appreciated, car is due into Eurospec soon for a service so can get Ben to take a look but would be helpfull to be give him a starting point. I also have a slight knock coming from the front offside, engine mounts have been replaced.

Thanks

peter thomson
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
have you checked the steering track rods and ends

andrew38
05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Peter

Track rod ends were ok at the last service 6 months ago not sure if they checked the rods will put on the list for Eurospec.

HMG1K
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Have you had the tracking done, at the same time as the balancing? I've had mine done a couple of times in a year because of the poor state of our roads.

toneburst
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi,

happen to have alloy wheels and has the car undergone any service recently?
I had a similar problem. The wobble on the front was caused by the use of a pneumatic wrench by a mechanic during service. He didn't use any cross-pattern tightening the bolts and didn't mind about any torque-settings.
Remedy: loosen all nuts on the front wheels (one wheel at a time would be wise) and tighten them again in a cross-like pattern manually to the dedicated torque (about 120Nm).
Sounds like impossible but my front wheels/rims where mounted off-centre. The wheels need about a millimeter to give you an annoying vibe...
Give it a try. Worth the effort.

Greetz,

Jos

The Vee
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
As above and even better if you can jack it up and get the weight off the wheels first.
Also, do you get brake judder? With slightly warped discs and sticky caliper/pads this can also cause this even if not applying the brakes as they can bind slightly

Nick Mann
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Have you got a buckled wheel?

Sometimes they will appear to be balanced on a balancing machine even though there is a flat spot on them. This will give a vibration at speed.

mike74
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I had a similar problem with an old FTO I used to own; turned out to be one of the front tyres had been twisted slightly while being put on! If all else fails, might be worth a look...sounds like track rod ends though (possibly the inner ones if outer have been checked)

elnevio
07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Quite a few of the suggested potential issues would be eliminated (or narrowed down to!) if you are able to obtain a borrowed set of good wheels & tyres, and see if the symptoms persist.

andrew38
08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all of the replies on this hopefully I can get it sorted when its in for a service, if it is I will post up the fix.