andyleaves
05-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok here goes...
I have currently the following
PROSport Smoke lens Boost guage
PROSport Smoke Lens Oil Temp guage
Gonna mount these in a 3 pod pillar.
My question is this...
What should/could be the most useful 3rd guage?

Thinking AFR, but not sure
What would you have?

Wodjno
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Choice.... Oil Pressure
2nd Choice ...AFR..

Ralliart1
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
As Glenn said,oil pressure

Turbo_Steve
05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Oil pressure.
No point in having AFR unless it is a Wideband.

Wodjno
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Oil pressure.
No point in having AFR unless it is a Wideband.

Pedantic ****

No point having an Oil Pressure gauge unless you also fit an Oil pressure Sensor :monkey:

andyleaves
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
So then...
If AFR then wideband needed
else Oil Pressure Sensor needed???
This one any good to go with the other two? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROSPORT-SMOKED-SUPER-WHITE-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-/110542893404?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bcdeb15c)

To be honest I don't really understnad have of what you guys say... Wideband to me means digital signals amplified in a similar meths to AM frequencies...

Why should I not go for narrowband? What's the difference?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Narrowband AFR ? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROSPORT-SMOKED-SUPER-WHITE-AIR-FUEL-RATIO-GAUGE-KIT-/110542892922?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bcdeaf7a)

Wodjno
05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
A narrow will tell u if ur o2 sensors shagged.
A wideband is what u want if ur going down the route of s fuel controller, piggy back or tweaked ecu or standalone. And if ur going down those routes then an oil pressure gauge and sensor would be on the list 1st /yes

andyleaves
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Cheers Glenn

Turbo_Steve
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Agree with Glenn, despite being a pedantic ****.

I have to point out, however, that the only reason I bothered to make the distinction is that a narrowband AFR is, essentially, a waste of money.

andyleaves
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Is that just because it would only tell me if the sensor was shot and not give me a true reading?

It's all academic now anyway, just got the prosport super white oil pressure gauge. This is to go with oil temp and boost gauge.
Just need to get a sandwich plate and a three pillar pod for it all now.
Oh yeah and then run all the cable find my elec sources and plumb the whole lot in.

Wodjno
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Agree with Glenn, despite being a pedantic ****.

I have to point out, however, that the only reason I bothered to make the distinction is that a narrowband AFR is, essentially, a waste of money.

Sorry.. But you may think i'm being a pedant.. But...

I wouldn't say it's a total waste of money..
As if it showed up a failing Lambda sensor.. Then it could save a fortune in Fuel /yes

Turbo_Steve
06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
The factory (narrowband) sensor is not calibrated. Essentially, it has two readings - Rich and Lean. That's all the ECU needs to find the midpoint, which it needs for emissions purposes.

So your narrowband AFR gauge is basically showing you that the sensor has changed between rich / lean, but not by how much.

As you only really care about AFRS when on full throttle, the narrowband is going to simply say "Rich".
If it says "Middle" or "Lean" then you've probably already damaged your engine beyond repair.

If you want to buy something REALLY useful, and plan to modify your car a fair bit, buy a knock display - even if it's just a knocklink.

Turbo_Steve
06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
despite being a pedantic ****.
I meant me.

As for spending £30 on an AFR gauge rather than working out your mpg....you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Wodjno
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I meant me.

... :p

CLuTZ
22-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Water temp.