PDA

View Full Version : which head unit matches the speakers?

bluemooney
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
hi folks

right i am good with oilly and the electric bits but not good with the ICE bits so would like some help

I have a set of alpine spr-17ls type r speakers

question 1 is which head unit would do it best justice?

question 2 is where would be the best place to mount the cross overs ?

question 3 which setting should i use in the crosovers?

thanks in advance

gaz

Turbo_Steve
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
1) The most expensive one you can afford :D
Alpine headunits are going to give you good results with Alpine speakers, but I favour Pioneer kit for sound quality. Alpine has better features, though.
Kenwood have all the toys, but I generally find they sound a bit flat.

Depends what you want the headunit to do, really?

Don't buy anything without listening to it.

2) Crossovers might as well go in the doors in plastic bags. Makes the wiring a lot easier.

3) Best to listen to each setting and decide which suits your headunit / tweeter location the best. I find door mounted tweeters to be quite tiring, so attenuating them by 3dB is likely to result in a less "in your face" experience

Worth mentioning that if you want to get the best out of your setup, you should be changing the wiring into the doors from the headunit.
If you REALLY want to get the best from it, you need an amplifier.

You'll get MUCH more from your setup if you run a hi-pass filter inline with your door speakers, and even a very small subwoofer.

If anyone tries to tell you that you need more than a single 12" sub, laugh and walk away.

bluemooney
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
thank you steve

will look for new head unit and amp

gaz

jiggy007
12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
hey you forgot to mention pioneer...
http://www.pioneer.com.au/en/Products/Navigation/In%20Dash%20Navigation/AVIC%20F310BT.aspx

Keep all original speakers wiring....
installed 600 watt 12inch subby
installed 800 watt amp

and with that pioneer you get the bonus of SAT/NAV so you never get lost...
RESULT:Without getting to technical and talking to much mumbo jumbo or loosing half your life deciding what unit to get , this unit sounds awesome.....stock speakers are fine...
its improved radio reception by 100%...it has a stack of feature including USB (say good by to crappy CDS) bluetooth, the works, check the specs out mate :)
You wont be disapointed..
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn470/gottistar/pic2-1.jpg
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn470/gottistar/pic1-1.jpg

Turbo_Steve
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
you forgot to mention Pioneer

but I favour Pioneer kit for sound quality

You sure? :) :)

Pioneer kit sounds great, and will compliment the Alpine speakers nicely, although it may sound a touch bright.

I love the Pioneer sound, but I am not such a big fan of their technology - their Bluetooth implementation is still way behind Kenwood's and their feature count is generally a little lower. Also their iPod controls are generally inferior.
I'm not Pioneer bashing - I have Pioneers in both my cars.