PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Relocation.. A much debated issue...

1timeVR4
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Firstly for all you haters out there, Its my car - I have a plan and Im sticking to it......

To anyone else who's interested ive just about finished another phase of my Air filter move. Battery is already in the boot, and tonight I got a chance to cut some pipes and begin putting the air intake together.

Its installed atm so its functional, as per the pic I came in from the drive when it was dark. Still some little tweaks to go. Heatshield and cold air direct feed but ive started.

I disconnected the battery, left it for a while and went for a boot, seems to be running smoother, definetly a deep induction tone. Keep you posted.

VR4Kaos
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
we need pics !!!

chris g
08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
No pics as far as I can see so not certain what you are describing...

And speaking of 'haters' is a bit strong...

I guess you may be doing induction changes, cone filter or similar...?

Trying something, your plan, is ok...

How we discuss things can get a bit heated but hopefully not to fall out...

1timeVR4
08-07-2010, 11:19 PM
My bad... Sorry folks, pic as requested.

AlanDITD
08-07-2010, 11:22 PM
What is the inner diameter of the pipe connecting to the maf?

1timeVR4
08-07-2010, 11:27 PM
98mm

scott.mohekey
08-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Do you have pictures of where you've put the battery?

1timeVR4
09-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Umm kinda, it features in another photo...

As per the air intake, the battery is in the boot, safe - functional but not finished. A friend is fabricating an alloy tray/clamp for me that the battery will sit in, then a light MDF top and front will disguise the battery.

scott.mohekey
09-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Is it vented?

1timeVR4
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
What the battery?? No Its an Optima Red Top, sealed gell battery. I could mount it upside down and it'd be fine

scott.mohekey
09-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Ah of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Turbo_Steve
09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Interesting, and thank you for being brave enough to share.
I'd suggest it's time to get EvoScan out and do some comparitive readings.

Confused
09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
It's less "hating", and more "giving feedback based on previous experiences" when it comes to playing with air filters on these cars!

However - kudos to you for trying (and, as it appears, doing a much better job than others tend to have done!) :)

I want to, eventually, move my battery into my boot, and have another go at fitting my BMC CDA.

bluemooney
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM
i am the same as confessed not a hater just asking questions and sharing my know how.

will you be wrapping the hot bits?

I had looked at fitting a viper with the intake in the wing and wrapping everything hot then venting the bonnet, just not sure the gain is worth the work

gaz

ianturbo
09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Puttin the battery in the boot ain't a big job ,but just stickin a pod filter were it was can't be much differance than keepin it at the end of the maf , do you not need a fancy box with a inlet draggin some cold air in ??
ian

1timeVR4
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Battery in the boot was a complete doddle yes.

If you imagine a line from the RHS of the fusebox straight to the FNS headlight....... This is where the heatshield is going to sit, Im hoping this will keep the warm engine air at bay. Eventually I think i shall also fabricate a lid.

Cold air is going to come from the grill (Lower passenger side front bumper, extreme right)ram air feed style, and also under the original battery tray, below where the filter now sits is really thin tin. The underside of this is easily identified in the wheelarch. Im also gonna bring cold air in here.... somehow!. Also the headlight assembly will let some air through around it anyway.

I hadn't planned on wrapping the pipes close to the engine. They are aluminium alloy in make up and dissapate heat very well. Plus wrapping them spoils the look!

TURBOSTEVE - Tell me more about evoscan pls

In time this is the sort of airbox im aiming for, only with one pipe coming out.

AlanDITD
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
whats 98mm in inches

its more than 3" anyway....it will work fine!

1timeVR4
09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
In old money 98mm is about 4 inches, girth /lol

Turbo_Steve
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Unless the pipe is bigger than the MAF (i.e. big enough for the MAF to fit inside it) you may still find you have issues. Your ideal size would be 4.5"-5" pipe, retaining the bend, and a flange welded on the end for the MAF to bolt up to.

EvoScan is a piece of software that plugs into your diagnostics port and will tell you the actual value that the MAF is telling the ECU. You need to do a couple of full bore runs on the standard setup, plotting values throughout the power range.

Then repeat with the new setup, which will show you where the differences are.

If you've got it right, you should see that the response curve of the MAF is broadly similar: some small differences will be apparent where (if) you've overcome restrctions in the system.

bradc
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
That is my car in the pic. If you want to get the best benefits from having a cold air intake then I would put a panel filter in the box where mine is, have the maf bolted straight onto it, then have the turbo intake pipes coming straight from the maf's, throwing the stock pipe away.

1timeVR4
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Unless the pipe is bigger than the MAF............

I went for the 4 inch pipe as the stock pipe out the back of the MAF is also 4 inch.

When I bought the car it had a cheap and nasty cone filter slapped straight to the MAF. All of the stock intake, box and pipes had already been removed. I had the HKS spare at home so I used it. My point being (whittering on...) that its nigh on impossible for me to make an accurate comparison. Plotting current values I could do.

BRADC thanks for the pic and the inspiration dude