PDA

View Full Version : squeeking from passngers front wheel

taupodrifta
09-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Hey guys hows things. Right my car decided 2 days ago to start squeeking from the front passngers wheel. It is more apparent when turning right at slow speeds. iIt has gradually got worse over the last 2 days and is driving me nuts/Hissy . I have had it all apart ie brakes off disc off etc and still cant semm to find where its coming from. Can anyone shed any light. Used search and found couple other peolpe have had this but sounds more from suspension travel ie dust covers on tein adjustables so gonna go recheck them now but any other suggestions would be much appreciated

Ryan
09-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Squeaking? At slow speeds? This could possibly indicate an impending balljoint failure which is a known issue on these cars. The net result of which leaves the affected corner of your car on the floor.

taupodrifta
09-07-2010, 06:11 AM
yes at slow speeds. Do you mean upper or lower ball joint???

Ryan
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Lower ball joint. It requires replacement of the entire arm.

taupodrifta
09-07-2010, 06:36 AM
cool I have a pretty much brand new lower straight arm here so will replace it tomorrow and hope that is it. Many thanks

taupodrifta
09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
well it was bugging and bugging me so at 8pm I decided to tackle the job and replace the lower straight arm. after many coins in the swear jar as the kids were asleep so was done very quietly took the car for a test drive and still the same so it wasnt that. Any other ideas????

mike74
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Try soaking all the suspension bushes etc with WD40 or similar. Might just be a dry join somewhere. Failing that could be a wheel bearing? When you checked the discs, did you also check the dust shields weren't touching the disc? Easy to check, just poke your finger through the wheel & push the cover back. If it 'tings' against the disc when you let go then thats it! Squeaks are damn annoying :(

taupodrifta
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Wheel bearings rumble when they are gone and that one was only replaced when I brought the car a year ago. I will try spraying it all with wd40 and see what that does. Its not the dust shield as that was originally my first thort. This squeek is so dam annoying I wont be driving the car till I find the problem as it is getting louder and louder and I dont want to put my kids in danger if something breaks

mike74
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Another thought; it wouldn't be the CV joint rubber boot squeaking/rubbing while turning would it?

taupodrifta
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
well the car is back up on stands again. I popped the dust cover off the ball joint on the curved arm to find low and behold no grease what so ever so now in desperate need of a lower curved arm and with money as tight as it is the vr4 is gonna be parked up for a while I think

jiggy007
10-07-2010, 08:12 AM
i had the same, it was the left hand upper ball joint...i had it replaced, noise is gone.

taupodrifta
12-07-2010, 05:26 AM
right I have replaced both lower arms had the top ball joint looked at and it is fine. It may be a long shot but my front roller stopper and also passngers side engine mount are stuffed any one reckon this could be causing the problem. looks like the cv isnt sitting straight due to the engine not sitting correctly in its mounts??? I know it seems a long shot but I have no other idea what it could be.

jiggy007
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
This may seem like a dumb thing to ask, but when u say squeaking, you talking worn bushes kinda noise....? Is it all the time this noise?

You tryd lubricating some of your bushes to eliminate them..hhmmm

taupodrifta
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
It only happens at slow sppeds and only when rolling if I give it gas it goes away.
ITs hard to explain it sounds half way between a sueek and a grind if you know what I mean. I will try take it out tomorrow and get someone to do a video of it if I can.

jiggy007
12-07-2010, 10:45 AM
That soooo sounds like my left hand upper ball joint,...mine only made those exact noises when rolling down a driveway or going up one...or slow rolling over anything with a bump and when i would exhilarate..

I know exactly wot u mean...that grindy/squeek/knock noise...

taupodrifta
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
did it have any movement in the joint as I have checked mine and it still feels tight. I am also taking its the hole top arm that gets replaced???

jiggy007
12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn470/gottistar/IMG_0688.jpg

this is the culprit i replaced..

i replaced the whole arm..im pointing at the part that was making the noise..

just because it still moves and it doesnt make noise.. doesnt mean its ok..i was under the same impression

taupodrifta
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
so it is possible to replace just the ball joint part not the complete arm

jiggy007
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
From wat they (suspension center) told me , you would be better replacing the lot...i did ask that question...For wot it was worth, im glad i replaced the lot just be on the safe side, i rckn you would be hard placed trying to find that part, plus the bonus was that the upgraded part i got had better bushes ...i payed around $120AU, i got it from kempys NZ ...thats were ur from..

plus i rckn that part would be hard to get out, considering its cased in rubber thats balloned around the bolt..

taupodrifta
14-07-2010, 03:37 AM
well top ball joint replaced and noise still there. Not as bad as originally but it is still there. this is driving me completely nuts anyone else have any suggestions???

bCOiN
14-07-2010, 04:28 AM
how far did you strip your brakes? may have a stone nestled somewhere in the rotor? check all the vents. maybe pull your pads off n give them a quick sanding, and if u can afford it machine the rotors. hard to diagnose without hearing/seeing it.
cheers

taupodrifta
14-07-2010, 07:19 AM
pulled them all apart discs off everything but it doesnt matter now. Took it out for a test drive was doing about 10-15ks/hour up a hill and bang bye bye diff!!!! Not a happy camper plus the squeek is still there lol

scott.mohekey
14-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Is the car lowered? Is it possible the springs aren't completely captive?

taupodrifta
14-07-2010, 08:35 AM
its sitting on adjusties. The springs are still nice and tight. I also put a brand new front roller stopper in thats what I was test driving it for when the diff blew but squeek still there. Now with diff blown I will rip the hole suspension and brakes apart to have another look

scott.mohekey
14-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Do you need a replacement diff then, I have a couple floating about.

The Vee
14-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Is it a constant noise going in time with the wheel turning or is it more to do with the suspension travel up and down on bumps? From your earlier description it sounds very much like brakes dragging. Have you checked the caliper pins are ok and the assembly is sliding and not seized. If it's uprated brakes, are the pads free to move in their seats and do the pistons go back ok?

taupodrifta
14-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah will be on the look out for a new diff as soon as I can come up with some more money as I have just spent in excess of $400 on it in the last couple days and the Mrs not happy /hammer How much for one of yours? And yes its not a constant sounds its definately to do with the wheel. I have removed all the breaks regreased the slider pins. The one thing I did notice last night that my front brakes pads move around quite a bit it the carrier could this possibly be the problem its almost like they have shrunk???

The Vee
14-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Should be a little movement. Take it the hub nuts are tight (just another thought)

taupodrifta
15-07-2010, 12:32 AM
will double check those. When I take my brake pads out the little steel retainers fall out are they ment to be tight or is that normal??? I also gonna take the disc off and get it checked that it is true but if it was warped I would have thought it woulndt squeek but just another thing to rule out

mike74
15-07-2010, 08:48 AM
When I changed my front discs & pads I found the anti-rattle shims were quite tight on the caliper. If yours are a loose fit then that might be the issue.

taupodrifta
15-07-2010, 09:40 AM
When I changed my front discs & pads I found the anti-rattle shims were quite tight on the caliper. If yours are a loose fit then that might be the issue.

I figured they werte ment to be tite as when I took the wheel off and gave the top of it a little flick it pretty much recipricated the noise I have been hearing. Can you buy them new??

EDIT: Sorry just checked ASA and yes can get them new so will order some gonna get new shim set for the front brakes to

taupodrifta
01-09-2010, 05:13 AM
well after many hours of frustration and replacement parts I think I have finally found the problem. Put it up on jacks today pushed the cv back slightly out of the hub gave it a wiggle and realised I have a collapsed wheel bearing. Great considering I replcaed it when I brought the car 18 months ago!!!!

mike74
01-09-2010, 08:16 AM
DOH! At least you now know what the problem was though :)

taupodrifta
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM
well this is true but I am baffled as to why it has collapsed considering the carf has only done 12 thousand k since it was fitted

dickytim
02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
well this is true but I am baffled as to why it has collapsed considering the carf has only done 12 thousand k since it was fitted

Was it properly greased and tightened?

taupodrifta
02-09-2010, 02:35 AM
yes it was tight and its a sealed bearing so you dont need to grease it

dickytim
02-09-2010, 06:18 AM
yes it was tight and its a sealed bearing so you dont need to grease it

Don't some sealed bearings still need grease?

scott.mohekey
02-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Don't some sealed bearings still need grease?

I asked about this when I bought a pair last year (admittedly it was the guy behind the counter at partsmaster that I asked) and was told that these particular sealed bearings don't need to be greased. I would like to know if this is true or not though.

taupodrifta
02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
I got it from partmaster also. I have been back to see them and they have spoken to there supplier and the supplier is saying its due to inproper fitting. My arguement is if it was inproper fitting it should have collapsed alot sooner than 12 thousand k so they not gonna replace it

scott.mohekey
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Something that should be mentioned is that the front bearings that partmaster supply are the same as the stock front bearings. They just don't come with a hub prepressed into them.

As for incorrect fitment.. all I can think of is pressing the hubs in wrong.. but they could say that to anyone, so they're just getting out of replacing it.

taupodrifta
02-09-2010, 07:25 AM
thats exactly what I said. They gave me the option to send it up to them to get it looked at but if the outcome was incorrect fitment I would have to pay aswell as buying a new bearing. Instant thoughts were they would just say it was so they didnt have to replace the bearing free of charge so I will just have to save up and buy a new one

dickytim
02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
thats exactly what I said. They gave me the option to send it up to them to get it looked at but if the outcome was incorrect fitment I would have to pay aswell as buying a new bearing. Instant thoughts were they would just say it was so they didnt have to replace the bearing free of charge so I will just have to save up and buy a new one

That is bull ****.

That is not legal. You can't threaten someone into not claiming against the CGA.

Where are the distributor located?

If it is Auckland maybe a member could take them into them and get them to explain about the incorrect fitment.

If the seller is not willing to take your side you can go direct to the distributor.

They can however have you pay the freight to return the item.

Might be an idea to get the instructions and make sure it was not incorrect fitment, altho the only way I could see that the fitment could be the issue would be if they were not tightened up enough, that is if they are sealed units that don't require grease.