PDA

View Full Version : Subs - Galant saloon - Help please

Kryton
10-07-2010, 01:37 AM
I've been having a look on here & found plenty of info on boot builds, subs in spare wheel wells, subs in side of boot & mentioning the 8" option for the parcel shelf in a Galant saloon. I want to install a sub in the shelf of mine & have a few questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer:

1) Has anyone got any pictures of one installed?

2) I will be buying an aftermarket sub so would any 8" one fit?

3) Are there any wires already there & can they be used?

4) Does mitsi do a grill to cover it, to match the other speakers?

I will be replacing all the speakers but want it to look as standard as possible. I have all the info to replace the others (thanks to extensive searching) & am not after s&*t hot sound quality, just an improvement on factory ones, so if I can get away without re-wiring, I will do.

Any help will be much appreciated & thanks in advance :)

VR457
10-07-2010, 02:44 AM
An 8" sub will need an external amplifier: the head unit will not do it justice at all, probably end up wrecking things.

You will need an RCA / phono wire, remote wire from head unit to the amplifier. The amp will need a power cable from the battery, ground wire to the body. You will need some speaker wires too. You will need to fuse the power lead.

Shelf wise you can bolt on a 18mm mdf sheet with sub fixed on to the parcel shelf. I don't know what kind of shelf the saloon has. However, in most cases it's better to make the custom shelf and cover it with acoustic cloth so the sub is not visible from outside. If the shelf is metal then.....

As the sub will not be boxed in this format it means that it will be helpful to sound deaden the boot area.

As you can appreciate, it is better to just get a powered subwoofer unit that you just run some cables to from the headunit and be done with the hassle!