PDA

View Full Version : UK/IMPORT front number plate size`s

Humpty's Revenge
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
For those that don`t know this but there is a big difference in front number plate size`s. Same with the rear.

I`ve just changed mine from the UK spec one to the proper Import version.

You can clearly see the size difference (UK is the one being bigger)

Both number plates are legal within the UK.

Both types must have the BSAU numbers on the plates to be MOT`D legally.

Just a bit of useless info I thought I would share with you.:smoking:

John TheAntique
11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Sod that.

Humpty's Revenge
11-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Sod that.

/haz :stop:

I do like that John!

stuey
11-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I've got a UK one with ends cut shorter as I don't like the idea of the import ones blocking the intercooler that much.

Nick Mann
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Theoretically, for import plates to be legal, the car has to be unable to display UK size plates. A really awkward copper can still give you a fine for illegal plates if you have got jap size plates on the front of a Legnum.

Not that this info stops me! Just thought I'd share.

Atik
12-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Anyone seen mine? :whistle:

apeman69
12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
A really awkward copper can still give you a fine for illegal plates if you have got jap size plates on the front of a Legnum.
And, in your defence, you could argue on a number of points that the smaller plates are in accordance with DVLA guidelines which are a mixture of clear as mud and ambiguous!
Seriously though I have looked extensively into this and size does matter. Mine, as you've probably noticed Nick, is pretty small but perfectly formed. Having only 6 characters in the registration mark does help a bit (one line of text instead of two). It is within my interpretation of the DVLA guidelines: my interpretation taking a long time of research, careful consideration and clarification of the requirements.
My car, when registered by Ebony & Ivory, had import size plates on but the font was not the correct one. Where's the sense in that?

Pugme
12-07-2010, 12:16 AM
my experience of anal coppers, you guys will love this one.

ok was driving home, in all fairness was only 5 mins from my house, got pulled over, to which the copper asked what nationality my car was! to which my reply was french of course with a stupid grin. ok this was a bad idea the copper let rip with a tirade of abuse.

now his issue was i (because im cool) was running french plates, you know the metal pressed ones in french font with a F under the euro flag, hardly illegible etc, so you would expect a fine... oh no that wasnt good enough for him as he began to rip them from my car (stuck on with velcro) he bent them as he did which i was not amused by, and i was ordered to drive home with no plates!! lol

did i get my plates back, NO!

Colin Wiltshire
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
my experience of anal coppers, you guys will love this one.

ok was driving home, in all fairness was only 5 mins from my house, got pulled over, to which the copper asked what nationality my car was! to which my reply was french of course with a stupid grin. ok this was a bad idea the copper let rip with a tirade of abuse.

now his issue was i (because im cool) was running french plates, you know the metal pressed ones in french font with a F under the euro flag, hardly illegible etc, so you would expect a fine... oh no that wasnt good enough for him as he began to rip them from my car (stuck on with velcro) he bent them as he did which i was not amused by, and i was ordered to drive home with no plates!! lol

did i get my plates back, NO!
Surely that criminal damage? can't you file a formal complaint?

Ralliart1
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Sod that.

Mine failed the MOT with that size:sad3:

John TheAntique
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I've got a MOT on Friday shall I leave it on and see? I've got the legal one in the boot and use the same two screws

Humpty's Revenge
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I've got a MOT on Friday shall I leave it on and see? I've got the legal one in the boot and use the same two screws

Leave it on John. If you have the original one in the boot than if they fail it and your there change it over.:thumbsup:

Good luck mate as I`ve got mine tomorrow.

Nick Mann
12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
And, in your defence, you could argue on a number of points that the smaller plates are in accordance with DVLA guidelines which are a mixture of clear as mud and ambiguous!

My understanding is that for a car to wear import plates is has to:
1. Be an import!
AND
2. Be incapable, due to design, of displaying a UK standard plate.

So if the recess on the back of the car is shaped for an import plate and putting a UK plate on will mean the illumination won't illuminate it, then you should use an import plate. That will be my poor take on it if the cops ever do pull me over - my plates are legal in every other way. In reality, though, my car could display standard UK plates - they fit on the rear of a Legnum and there is no need for the plate to fit in the recess on the front of the car.

1timeVR4
12-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Check out Craigsplates.com. They list exactly what size plates and lettering we can use......... inc one to fit the PFL front bumper number plate recess.

Kryton
15-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I think its possible to get a £60 fine & 3 point now for illegal number plates (show plates) as this is a maintenance issue which you have knowingly avoided, but only £30 for not having any on the car as it is possible that someone has taken them since last parked up. I don't know how true this is, but its what i've hear. Ultimate in camera shy number plates - don't bother at all :)

PaddyB
15-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I've got a UK sized rear plate & a Jap sized front plate. It passed its MOT less than a month ago with these on.

Under the boot tray I have a UK spec front plate & a copy of the DVLA guidelines - for arguments. As Nick said - import with stock FMC == ickle front plate.

All this is driven by character recognition in traffic cameras, which can't read non std fonts or sizes (or positions - which is why the original Alfa 156 number plate is now illegal).

Kryton
15-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I have found this information, which people might find useful

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below:

Character Height - 79mm
Character Width (except the figure 1 or letter l) - 50mm
Stroke - 14mm
Space between characters - 11mm
Space between groups - 33mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) - 11mm
Space between vertical lines - 19mm

The character width has been slightly reduced from 57mm to 50mm to accommodate the Euro-symbol on the number plate.

They also have a list of all variants of plates, depending on when they were fitted & what they have been fitted to on:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/plates.htm

giblet
15-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I have Jap sized plates with the GB/EU on the side in blue on mine. Passed the MOT fine. Looks a bit off having jap plates with GB/EU logo's but freshens the car up in my opinion

stuartturbo
15-07-2010, 09:40 PM
When I bothered with one I ran 64mm letter on one line with 13mm border
6 letters on a plate and that was deemed legal as there was nowhere for a plate on mine
64mm is a bike font

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2002/20022687.htm

John TheAntique
16-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Leave it on John. If you have the original one in the boot than if they fail it and your there change it over.:thumbsup:

Good luck mate as I`ve got mine tomorrow.

Failed------emissions and track rod end, oh well saves me unscrewing it.