PDA

View Full Version : Cough

VR457
13-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi,

My son has had a cough for 20 weeks now! He has been counting and is thoroughly cheesed off with it. Have tried all sorts but to no avail.

I think it's the volcanic ash.

Has anyone else noticed family members etc with dry coughing on slight exertion kind of thing from the last few months?

VR4Kaos
13-07-2010, 08:32 AM
how old is he ?
tell him to give up the cigs lol

VR457
13-07-2010, 09:17 AM
:pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2: :beatnik2:

VR4Kaos
13-07-2010, 09:20 AM
just for your reassurance he aint gettin it from me pmsl

VR457
13-07-2010, 10:04 AM
No cheese here mate!

Anyway, no one got a coughing problem?

Nutter_John
13-07-2010, 11:08 AM
My son has the same cough not for 20 weeks but a fair old time , yes it could be the ash never thought of that

mike74
13-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Allergy? A guy in my office has been coughing/sniffing for over a year now & that's purely an allergy of some sort. /bat

andyleaves
13-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Any mucus coming from the nose?
(Nursery Nurse, Health care lecturer speaking now)
Is there any redness in the back of the throat?
How old is he?

As pointed out, he may have an allergy to dust mite's or some other thing. The Volcanic ash would only really be a problem if you lived in Scotland and North Scotland at that...

Has he been on any antibiotics lately?

VR457
13-07-2010, 09:55 PM
He is 12. Got asthma, allergy, the usual. All of these were under control until this recent issue.

He has had a short course of antibiotics. I know of one other adult who has a hacking cough too.

oldgit9
14-07-2010, 12:15 AM
for months before i gave up smoking (4 weeks clean now), i had a tickly cough. i put it down to the smoking. but it could have bee due to the ash.

the daughter has asma...and again, she had a tickly cough. she's only 11. so it not the cig's. its cleared up now. i put it down to her being a lazzy git and not taking her daily meds. it could well be the ash that caused us all to cough

andyleaves
14-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Chesty? dry is he bringing anything up?

VR457
14-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Not bringing anything up. If i make him a lemongrass brew he seems alright for about three hours, then it's back.

Normal conditions he is just about fine. As soon as he exercises he starts coughing. Which is a bummer as he does karate twice a week. Trampoline is off too but that could be just the rain /Brolly

andyleaves
16-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Sorry mate, really should have got back to this sooner...
If he's coughing after exercise, that would lead me to believe asthma.
It could also be a combination of both Asthma and Hay-fever.

The signs and symptoms of both can present at any time/stage of life.
As their is no mucus this would be my guess from the information at hand.
However, my advice is always see a doc if your unsure, which you probably have by now...

Just a thought - Bronchitis?

VR4Kaos
16-07-2010, 06:59 AM
my eldest has asthma mate but only comes on every now and then, He seems to make short frequent breaths and like a week cough every two seconds when he suffering, but one/two puffs on his inhaler and he sound as a pound again
may be werth tring him on an inhaler see if this sorts him out will should be able to tell almost instantly

andyleaves
16-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Karl, agree with you...
Shame they no longer do the trial course that I was on when just a sprog...
Was taught to control my Asthma, without the use of the inhaler both Ventolin and Becotide. Quite good really as by the age of 5 my lungs had collapsed twice.

VR457 - Karl has a good point, it could be that you need to increase regular use of Becotide. However bear in mind that Eczema, Hay-fever and Asthma are all related. Just wondering if it might be related to the increase in pollen we have seen this year?

VR457
17-07-2010, 12:34 AM
You are probably right about the pollen. Even i have felt it and my asthma is managed well.

He is on asthma medication. Interesting tip for asthma sufferers: a red apple a day (preferably organic) helps in reducing exercise induced bronchoconstriction. Works for other types too - it's a miracle!

Was that the Buteyko technique you were taught?

Roadrunner
17-07-2010, 01:39 PM
House dust is a common allergy too. You can help that by opening the windows in the house more.

If the cough's been around for 20 weeks or more, it's not likely to be volcanic ash, given that the volcano only erupted 17 weeks ago ...