PDA

View Full Version : HID Kits

Gizmo
14-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey everybody!

Just a quick question for ya, i am looking for an HID kit for the Galant VR4, the car already has them fitted, but one of the ballasts is playing up and only works when it feels like it so need to get them replaced.

Any of you recommend somewhere i could buy a compatible kit?

Cheers in advanced!

Giz

Wobble
14-07-2010, 09:42 PM
have a look in the for sale section wodjno has a possible set up for sale.

rich77
14-07-2010, 09:46 PM
can confirm they are a real nice set up on the wodjno motor and work perfectly was my car so i should know

Turbo_Steve
15-07-2010, 06:53 PM
You can buy a pair of brand new ballasts from e-bay, brand new, for around £30.

Are you sure it's your ballast that isn't working properly?

Gizmo
24-07-2010, 02:09 PM
You can buy a pair of brand new ballasts from e-bay, brand new, for around £30.

Are you sure it's your ballast that isn't working properly?

Well im pretty sure its the ballast as i have tried a different bulb and it has the same problem, plus the ballast has a blue light on it indicating that the 12V feed to it is working so i can only assume that the ballast has an issue stepping up the voltage.

However im actually trying to find a decent set of projector lenses as i want to mod a pair of original face lift headlights, basically what is currently on the car, but i want to do a better job of it :P

VR4WGN
25-07-2010, 12:05 AM
thers no difference between FL or PFL headlights correct? theyr all still the same or are they different in the UK?

Gizmo
25-07-2010, 09:24 AM
thers no difference between FL or PFL headlights correct? theyr all still the same or are they different in the UK?

I would think that they are the same, but im not too sure!

elnevio
25-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes, all the JDM headlights are the same (with the exception of the Super VR-4 headlights being internally colour-coded red or silver to match the paintwork).

Turbo_Steve
25-07-2010, 04:56 PM
And HID kits in any of them will potentially (maybe) fail an MOT :)

Gizmo
25-07-2010, 05:48 PM
And HID kits in any of them will potentially (maybe) fail an MOT :)

Why would HID's cause an MOT failure? =/

elnevio
25-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Why would HID's cause an MOT failure? =/
The headlights aren't designed for the different light source, and tend to cause more scatter. You *can* get reasonably lucky with the spread not being too bad, but they will generally fail the MoT. Projector lenses can be fabricated into the headlights (a few have done this) which sorts out the pattern spread. Technically, HIDs *should* be electrically-levelling and have headlight washers in the UK, too, to pass the MoT, but these are points that doesn't seem to be too readily assessed for the test.

Gizmo
25-07-2010, 07:53 PM
The headlights aren't designed for the different light source, and tend to cause more scatter. You *can* get reasonably lucky with the spread not being too bad, but they will generally fail the MoT. Projector lenses can be fabricated into the headlights (a few have done this) which sorts out the pattern spread. Technically, HIDs *should* be electrically-levelling and have headlight washers in the UK, too, to pass the MoT, but these are points that doesn't seem to be too readily assessed for the test.

Oh i see! Thanks for the information man! I will have to make sure that the scatter isnt too bad when i mod the lights! If they are will have to look around for aftermarket headlights or something...

Turbo_Steve
25-07-2010, 10:16 PM
We're only aware of two aftermarket headlight solutions -
1) a set of Cibies (you'll be lucky to find them, and you'll probably pay a fortune. They will need painting to match the car. Some people find them unnattractive.

2) a set of DepoLights. Not aware of anyone who has bought a set. They're pricey as heck for what they are, and shipping is from the US, so will cost extra and take a while. As they're from the US, they may require further modification (i.e. mirrors swapping or similar) to get the beam pattern right for the UK. They may do it for you, however, if you ask.

Fitting a set of projectors in your existing lights is most likely to meet with success for minimal investment.

Alternatively, PM Swinks on here - he does an "off the shelf" headlight conversion which is likely to pass an MOT and doesn't cost the earth.

Nutter_John
25-07-2010, 10:41 PM
All cars that have HID's in have to have washer jets or they fail the MOT , this is a legal requirement , so even if you can get the after market HID's to provide a correctly focused beem they still need to have the washers

Turbo_Steve
25-07-2010, 10:52 PM
All cars that have HID's in have to have washer jets or they fail the MOT , this is a legal requirement , so even if you can get the after market HID's to provide a correctly focused beem they still need to have the washers

100% true.....but not always the case :D As Nev says, it seems to be one of the things that tends to be "overlooked" :)
Same as sometimes just putting HIDs in regular headlights will pass....and then fail with a different tester.

That being said, fitting a set of washers off a UK Galant would be dead dead easy.