PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Is Wobbling Help

sampsulo
16-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Hows it guys...finally got my car...but for some reason the rear wheel is wobbling can be felt inside. i though the wheel needed balancing but its balanced right. when the car is lifted and wheel attached put into gear thew obbling can be seen clearly, what could it be? any ideas?

BillHardy
16-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Silly question but have you checked the wheel for distortion

Colin Wiltshire
16-07-2010, 04:51 PM
first thought is wheel nuts, but I'm sure you checked them.

Wodjno
16-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Out of shape tyre or buckled wheel.. Or suspension joint mullered ?

sampsulo
16-07-2010, 05:07 PM
wheel is ok....distortion? help there? im a serious newbie....will check teh suspension hopefully the mechanic has time for me.....what would the suspension joint cost to fit?

elnevio
16-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Put a different wheel on there and see if it's the same.

sampsulo
16-07-2010, 05:13 PM
took the wheel off and put the car into gear while lifted and i can hear frication by the brake pad but not constantly but like it only rubs on side indicating its bend on one side...hope im making sense....explains why the abs light comes on but doesnt explain the bend mystery

Colin Wiltshire
16-07-2010, 05:18 PM
maybe previous owner had a slide and caught a kerb

sampsulo
16-07-2010, 05:22 PM
that is what i initially thought but when that happens some stuff bends right? any how will check the mechanic tomorrow and see what he finds...hopefully its nothing serious....

Nick Mann
16-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I would think buckled wheel too. Wobbling when rotating whith the car jacked up says buckled wheel to me. Sometimes they do balance, even though they are buckled - you can still feel the distortion at speed though.

Honestly - swap wheels around and see if the situation changes.

sampsulo
16-07-2010, 05:27 PM
all right will swap wheels and see whats up....i feel distortion when driving yeah....

Davezj
16-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Here is something else to check if you haven't done it already,

check the sufaces of the disk that contacts the wheel and the inside of the wheel that contacts the disk. for corrosion, rust, dirt trapped in that area, as anything like that would stop the wheel sitting correctly and wobble would be felt. but the wheel on it's own would balance up and run straight.

it will also be good to check the mating surfaces of the disk to hub as well for the same reason, as you say the disk seems to be to be wobbling as well.