PDA

View Full Version : debadging, cleaning, odd paint and solutions

Pastor of Muppets
16-07-2010, 10:26 PM
right time for PoM's dumb question of the day.....
But first a little back story.
As some of you may know i have a small dent in the bootlid on my galoon and while wandering about looking for quotes for repairs trying to find out if new ones are available and totally forgetting to look on here (next job) for one in black i decided to debadge the bootlid nice and easy stanley knife blade, sticky stuff remover and lots of elbow grease followed by a quick polish.
No worries the back of the galoon is now smooth as a babies bum bar the small dent, or so you'd think.
Where the mitsi lettering was there is an impression of it in the pain almost as if the badge was stuck on while the paint was still tackey. Although it's hard to see and everyone else tells me it's fine, i know it's there and it bothers me.
So i guess the question is how do i get the semi embossed(ish) letters out of my paint?

PaddyB
16-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Scratchx. If that doesn't work maybe go a bit harsher with something like tcut.

I've got the same problem. Scratchx didn't do it for me - I didn't try anything else.

giblet
16-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Whenever I have debadged a car I have found that the paint behind where the badges were is always less weathered than the paint around it. Then again Autoglym Super Resin Polish has always worked for me to remove the effect

hardarse
16-07-2010, 11:16 PM
doesnt anyone near you do dent removal cause it might come out without respray

VR4Kaos
17-07-2010, 07:54 AM
g3 rubbing compond should do trick just use plenty of water or it may cut to deep and you will need a top coat polish to bring the shine back

elnevio
17-07-2010, 08:03 AM
In short, you don't.

It would, as you surmised, appear to be an issue with Mitsi pressing the badges on while the paint was not fully hardened.

I had this when mine was debadged. It looks like the VR-4 side was worse for it than the Mitsubishi side, so I ordered a new VR-4 badge (the black-outlined one instead of the chrome-outlined one standard on PFLs). The Mitsubishi indentation was masked with a Nurburgring sticker.

Unfortunately, having spoken with detailers on the subject, nothing short of a respray will totally get rid of the indentations.

Pastor of Muppets
17-07-2010, 02:59 PM
firstly in all honestly i have no recolection of posting but thanks for all the advice and help look's like the matt black respray mihgt be coming sooner than planned......anyone want a shed load of polish?

eyeballprawn
17-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I think my car must have been ordered from the factory de-badged. Because there is no trace of them, and it definitely has never had a respray. All very odd.

elnevio
17-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I think my car must have been ordered from the factory de-badged. Because there is no trace of them, and it definitely has never had a respray. All very odd.
It might have been something that they got a bit better with, with the facelift cars!

Scanny
17-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Whenever I have debadged a car I have found that the paint behind where the badges were is always less weathered than the paint around it. Then again Autoglym Super Resin Polish has always worked for me to remove the effect
+1
i had a mark where the mitsi badge was on the tail gate but autoglym does seem to have got rid of it