PDA

View Full Version : My humble audio setup...

Uray25
18-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Just fitted everything into the Leggie.

Boston Acoustics Pro Series 5.4 Front
Boston Acoustics Don't Recall Rear
Hifonics Europa XI Amplifier
Zealum 1.0 Farad Capacitor
Hertz EBX200R Subwoofer

Headunit, Temporary Pioneer 900BT from our 1977 Galant Sigma.

CANDEE
18-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Nice little install. :) However I dont see a reason for the capacitior, as long as you have a half decent battery you shouldnt need one. :) Just my 2c.

Uray25
18-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, the capacitor makes sure at High Volume that my Headlights won't dim in sync with the Bass.

As it did in my Previous Galant without the Capacitor. And it was lying around doing nothing anyways.

And those Hifonics Amps can eat away a LOT of Power.

Oh, and i wanted to keep the Spare, because of the road conditions in Surrounding Countries.

CANDEE
18-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, the capacitor makes sure at High Volume that my Headlights won't dim in sync with the Bass.

As it did in my Previous Galant without the Capacitor. And it was lying around doing nothing anyways.

And those Hifonics Amps can eat away a LOT of Power.
I have been running systems with about 1000wRMS in them for years with only a 550CCA battery, with no lights dimming. :) Also I tend to run a big ground(usually 2AWG or bigger) to the chassis from the battery, which usually also helps the car idle better and helps even out any voltage spikes etc.

Though I do use 750CCA rated batteries these days(my current one was tested at 1190CCA the other day). :)

Turbo_Steve
18-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Some very nice kit, and an aesthetically please install. Very nice :)

Questions: I've got no problems with using a cap, but usually headlights dimming is a symptom of poor earthing, or insufficient gauge power cable. I'm not saying this is true in your case, but one thing I did notice is that the earth wires are not the same gauge as the power wires - or is it just the photos?

I assume that's an active sub box, and the HiFonics is running the door speakers? Or is it a twin-coil sub?

If the HiFonics is running the door speakers, it really shouldn't be drawing that much power - What HiPass do you have set? What impedance are the bostons?

None of this is meant as criticism - I'm just genuinely interested in how you've chosed to set yours up. Shame I won't get to hear it, really - I've not heard the Bostons, and I'd like to.

The Pioneer is a nice bit of kit too!

CANDEE
18-07-2010, 11:23 AM
As per Steve above, I am also not criticising the install either, just sharing some experience. :)

Uray25
18-07-2010, 11:34 AM
No Offense taken, the Hifonics only drives the Front Speakers and the Sub.
Headunit drives the Rear. I also have an DEH-P88RS headunit, but that one is screwed into our 7G Galant VR4, too much hassle to take it out.
Have an Hifonics Zeus in there that only drives a Bazooka Bass Pipe. Sounds sweet though with the Stock Speakers, Amazing to be honest.

And yes, the Ground wire needs an upgrade from 10mm2 to 16mm2, but i was out, so for this weekend this should suffice.
As for the Extra negative ground, considering it if this tends out not to be enough.

And as for the Capacitor, well it doesn't hurt does it...

As for the Bostons, they Sound Warm, but the combination with the Pioneer is awesome, because they tend to sound rather Cold. I really like the sound of this combination. Heart good things about Focal too though. But then again, this was lying around in my Garage anyway.

HighPass is set at 120 at the moment, still need to tweak it though.
In my previous Galant i had to set it above 150 otherwise everything would resonate.

Turbo_Steve
18-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Ah - of course - eminently sensible use of the amplifier - makes more sense in terms or wiring now :)

If you start feeling adventurous, you could make a special box to put the subwoofer in the side of the boot - depends if you need all the space or not.

Focal stuff is, indeed, some of the best kit I have heard - unfortunately the price does reflect that somewhat. PolyKevlar 165s...mmmmm....

I occasionally find the Pioneer a little "forward" too: I usually pair it with Pheonix Gold components and a "smooth" amp like a JBL for nice results. The HiFonics is pretty direct sounding too, so it sounds like you're onto a winning combination there!