PDA

View Full Version : need mod help for my vr4 please

nz_vr4_nz
28-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Hey Im from New zealand(also wanting to join the membership here in NZ)

Ive got a friend thats trying to convince me to get a single stage boost controller installed so that I can change the boost with a flick of a switch..
from stock to 14(he reakons 14 is ok,im not sure).

My VR4 is totally stock(expect a RPS big bore)....should I be thinking of other mods first? before changing the boost?
What is a safe boost?

And do those cheap boost gauges at repco(about$45) give accurate reading?

Spirit
28-08-2004, 07:27 AM
I run my boost at a max of 1.0bar (which is approx 14.5ps) with a Blitz Dual Spec S boost controller.

My experience is that the cheap gauges do not always give accurate reading so be aware when looking around.

-LegnumVR4-
29-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Get the exhaust sorted first, this frees up a lot of power and lets the turbos work that little bit easier.

For a filter, don't bother with the panel replacement ones, go for a heat shielded design (cone) that has cold air feed to it.

An EBC controller would be the better bet to control boost as u can adjust the boost pressure inside the cabin when it needs adjusting.

If u have an auto transmission then i would get a ATF cooler before u lift the boost. The stock cooler in the radiator doesn't cool the trans fluid as well when bhp is raised. Heat kills the transmissions.

Rhys

Craig
20-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi there , I also are new to this .
I just bought myself a 96 VR4 Legnum and want to pump up the boost . I had a 1990 VR4 evo 0 , that i had doin flat 13s ..1/4. I had in that a turbo smart manual boost adjuster ,and i what to put it in my legnum but not sure how to hook it up twin turbo .Can anyone add some light to this for me ?
Cheers
Craig

ako
20-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Easy as hell. The only difference between this and your E39 is that eventually the wastegate feed gets split in two - pretty sure you'll find the line coming off your intake elbow, just throw it in there. Like everyones said a gazillion times, the fuel cut on the 6A13 is bloody harsh, and pretty conservative. Cold nights, you'll feel it around 12psi, hot days, closer to 15psi. Still enough to propel the big mothers into the 13s though.

Craig
20-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Cheers

dickytim
21-02-2005, 05:57 AM
cheap repco gauges are ****, ask allbeitmine, his was reading 10psi while the dyno was reading 14-15. That is blow up teritory, spend a little more on gauges if you are going to raise your boost, Autometer (not Auto gauge) do some at a reasonable price.

AllBeItMine
21-02-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah. i got a cheap gauge. but i think i might have plumbed mine into the wrong place... put it in the BOV line.

there is a line that goes down to the FRP but its a little harder to find. To T that sucker you need to take the plastic cover off the motor. the lines comes off the front of the throttle body, after the butterfly and is a little 4mm sucker. it dissapears underneath the blackplastic intake pipe down into a small solenoid behind where the top radiator hose connects to the engine, then back up from that into the fuel rail area. putting a T in there will give you a more accurate reading.

my boost gauge wasn't that far out. was saying 10.5-11 when it was 12-12.5 but yeah, still not ideal...

you wont notice the boost cut soo much untill you free up the exhaust and intake. as soon as you open her up it makes the turbos spin that much more freely that they spike very easily to 18psi+ when nailing it from 3k. the reason for this maybe that the lines to the wastegate actuators are so long that it takes a while for the signal to get to them. i have been toying with the idea of re-plumbing them some how for a more steady and faster vacum signal. not sure how though.

if you are interested in getting your exhaust done, including the downpipes i can put you onto my mates at Pitstop performance New Market. they will do you a good deal and a good job.

ako
22-02-2005, 04:04 AM
I'm gonna have a go at doing this on the new car, redoing the wastegate plumbing... Its a free experiment ;)

chipper
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey Im from New zealand(also wanting to join the membership here in NZ)

Ive got a friend thats trying to convince me to get a single stage boost controller installed so that I can change the boost with a flick of a switch..
from stock to 14(he reakons 14 is ok,im not sure).

My VR4 is totally stock(expect a RPS big bore)....should I be thinking of other mods first? before changing the boost?
What is a safe boost?

And do those cheap boost gauges at repco(about$45) give accurate reading?

Its pretty safe to notch up your boost a little bit, majority say that boosting up to 15psi with stock internals should be max @ spurts of not more than 5 secs for prolonged engine life. More than that and you might just hit fuel cut.

hack out the bottom part of your MAF, this should eliminate fuel cut early, if you have the metallic blow off valve, crimp it up with a vice till pressure releases at 21psi. Shorten all vaccum hose as possible to minimize boost creep.
replace your downpipe with 3".

This simple tweek will put a smile on your face. Ciao.

AllBeItMine
03-03-2005, 10:11 AM
mate - i dont think you are talking about a v6 vr4...

chopping the bottom out of the AFM is a bad idea
and there are two turbos.. a 3inch downpipe off each wont actually fit.
and unless you have a FCD there is noway you are going to be able to run 15psi without hitting the fuel cut downlow.

do the exhaust first, then try and minimis as much of the heat getting to the filter as possible.

after this, run about 10psi through it and you will be pretty happy.

chipper
04-03-2005, 02:38 AM
oooh sorry mate, thought you were referring to the 4cyl 63T. in that case your correct.