PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing?

VR457
18-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Was removing rear brake discs. Found this item nestling on the inside of the disc on the driver side.

Is it something from the handbrake?

Wodjno
18-07-2010, 06:25 PM
It does look like it could fit around the HB cable where it fits upto the hub.. but i thought thats was just a circular piece. Can u check other side ?

Wodjno
18-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Just had a look on here, Page 7..
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/uploaded/3/1173620003.pdf
Can't see the part in your Pic ? Maybe someone else recognises it ?

Cheers

Wodj

miller
18-07-2010, 07:08 PM
is that not the inspection hole plug?

GalantOnly
18-07-2010, 07:08 PM
This is a part of adjuster nr.5 on the page 7...

On the page 9 it's much easier to see... It's zoomed in on the bottom. The one with two arrows pointing on it

Wodjno
18-07-2010, 07:14 PM

On the page 9 it's much easier to see... It's zoomed in on the bottom. The one with two arrows pointing on it
Dang your right /yes
I've just looked at the pic again on the PC(1st posted and looked on mobile phone) And can see it's made of metal.. It looked like rubber or plastic on my mob :oops:

Looks like you got ur answer /yes No thanks to me :smash:

Wodj

GalantOnly
18-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Dang your right /yes
I've just looked at the pic again on the PC(1st posted and looked on mobile phone) And can see it's made of metal.. It looked like rubber or plastic on my mob :oops:

Looks like you got ur answer /yes No thanks to me :smash:

Wodj

The rubber/plastic thing, you see on the pic, must be his finger.../yes

Wodjno
18-07-2010, 07:22 PM
The rubber/plastic thing, you see on the pic, must be his finger.../yes

GalantOnly :rifle:

:p

VR457
19-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Yes, that looks like it! Thanks for all the help guys!

The rubber things that are on the discs (inspection hole?) i transfered onto the new discs which did not have them.

So, this thing: what does it do? Do i need to fix it back on?

Wodjno
19-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes, that looks like it! Thanks for all the help guys!

The rubber things that are on the discs (inspection hole?) i transfered onto the new discs which did not have them.

So, this thing: what does it do? Do i need to fix it back on?

If u look at the bottom of page 9 in the link.. It's part of the adjuster and fits on 1 end and attaches to the brake shoe..

Wodj

GalantOnly
19-07-2010, 11:47 AM
This Thing holds the adjuster in place... So without it your hand brake will do the funky stuff :)

VR457
19-07-2010, 07:28 PM
This Thing holds the adjuster in place... So without it your hand brake will do the funky stuff :)

Thanks GO. Hope you don't mean that in a serious sort of way. . . .

Incidentally, i was getting a rattling sort of sound, mostly on roundabouts. I had thought the wheel bearing / suspension was at fault but i think this was what was causing the noise as so far everything is quiet.

Wodjno
19-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks GO. Hope you don't mean that in a serious sort of way. . . .

Incidentally, i was getting a rattling sort of sound, mostly on roundabouts. I had thought the wheel bearing / suspension was at fault but i think this was what was causing the noise as so far everything is quiet.

So you put it back in yet ? Or maybe it had been replaced before and the old 1 left inside ?

Cheers

Wodj

VR457
20-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Not replaced it yet. Might do today. Going to see a Mann about a thing....

VR457
20-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Handbrake has been adjusted (thanks Nick). The 'thing' is used as part of the adjuster to make the lower half of the handbrake shoes clamp onto the disc recess. Hope that explains it!

Wodjno
20-07-2010, 02:47 PM
The 'thing' is used as part of the adjuster to make the lower half of the handbrake shoes clamp onto the disc recess. Hope that explains it!

That's what i said /yes :p

If u look at the bottom of page 9 in the link.. It's part of the adjuster and fits on 1 end and attaches to the brake shoe..

Wodj

Glad it's all sorted /yes

Wodj