PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 galant tapping noise

awkgah
19-07-2010, 03:42 AM
hello guys this is my first thread dont know how it works.
anyways i have an galant 02 reg 2.0 classic saloon with 63K on the clock. got the cambelt changed at 55000 and everything was working absolutely fine till i changed the oil last time.
now the problem i m having is finding the right oil. if i go to halfords they recommend me 15W-40 MILERAL oil. which is not convincing. got to my local car part shop n he consulted with the carlube catalogue and it said 5W-30 fully synth. i got confused n went to eurocarparts which to my surprise told me to put 10W-40 semi synthetic. puzzled i called mitsubishi and they told me 10w-40 semi-synth is the right option. so i went to asda where i found castrol gtx 10w-40 on offer and putted that.
because the car was sorn for a year so i thought to flush the engine with wynn's engine flush and instantly after putting the new oil it started tapping. didnt pay too much attention but then thought it might be good to change the oil once again as it might be something wrong with the oil so i changed it again and its still the same.
when its cold there no noise but on the normal temp is start tapping n presumably stay but i cnt hear it coz of engine noise but it seems to stay. it drives same as before no power loss etc. so i need help to diagnose before i give it to some mechanic who will suggest to replace the engine ..

taupodrifta
19-07-2010, 03:54 AM
its the lash adjusters/tappets. very common in mitsi engines

awkgah
19-07-2010, 05:48 AM
is it a diy job .? or rather expensive one. .some more info wud be appreciated. thanks

taupodrifta
19-07-2010, 05:54 AM
There is a right up on here but its in the members section. I havent personally done the job myself so cant comment on how hard it is.

mattnz
19-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Using the right oil and putting some Proma through it makes a big difference. I took mine into Mitsi and they sorted it out.