PDA

View Full Version : oil catch can

VR4Kaos
19-07-2010, 10:41 AM
hi been wondering if any one can answer the following questions on an oil catch can :sigh: :-
:baby: what is one of these
:baby: what is it benefits
:baby: should i make/buy one
:iloveyou: /rally

WildCards
19-07-2010, 10:46 AM
An oil catch can is used in turbo applications and helps to prevent extra stress on the crankshaft. The baffling installed in an oil catch can prevents the oil in the can from being blown out of the filters located on top of the oil catch can.

mike74
19-07-2010, 11:15 AM
You should really go for the type that plumbs back into the inlet tract somewhere. This allows any expelled combustion gasses to be sucked through the catch can, cleaned then back into the engine to be burnt off. A major benefit is that it stops any oily mist getting into the inlet & covering everying in oil (like sensors, throttle body etc). As a side effect it should give a slightly cleaner burn too as no oil is getting burnt along with the fuel. By all accounts, an old biscuit tin or similar can be modified using plumbers pipe fittings & a few lengths of hose & should cost less than 20 quid. I've got an fleabay jobbie on another car (cost about 25 quid) & it works just fine. Just make sure that whichever option you install, its totally AIRTIGHT as any leaks would cause inaccurate fuelling. Check this by submerging your catch-can-of-choice in a sinkful of water with all but one of the ends blocked off & blowing through it with another length of tube on the open connection. Seal up any leaks & bob's yer aunty!
Oh, one more thing is to get one that doesn't drain itself back to the sump. It might mean you have to manually drain it periodically but also means you can keep an eye on how much oil its collecting/using. Any unusual change in the level can indicate problems elsewhere!

VR4Kaos
04-04-2011, 08:21 AM
is there a correct size i need 8mm 10mm 12mm ect ect

bristol seb
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
You want one with 10mm connectors, I bought mine from ebay advertised as 10mm, but it turned up with 15mm! No problem to switch them over, just make sure you are getting what you pay for, or make your own!

miller
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
heres my installation story Karl!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?43641-Oil-Catch-Can-installation

KwS
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
An oil catch can is used in turbo applications and helps to prevent extra stress on the crankshaft. The baffling installed in an oil catch can prevents the oil in the can from being blown out of the filters located on top of the oil catch can.

ah wait, what?

Not to be offensive, but no its not.

The catch can is designed to reduce the amount of oil vapor that is sent back into the engine to be burnt. This oil vapor lowers the octane rating of fuel, and if there is a lot, it can cause excess exhaust smoke, and other issues.

The baffles are to trap the oil particles, and keep them in the can, rather than following the air back into the engine (assuming its plumbed back in, which it should be imo). Unbaffled cans have a habit of the vapor going in one hole and straight out the other, without losing much of the oil particles, making it useless.