PDA

View Full Version : British attempt to smash sound barrier in car (again)

Ryan
21-07-2010, 08:32 AM
SA sound smashing attempt
2010-07-21 09:17

Wolfram Zwecker

Johannesburg - It is 12.8 metres long, three metres high and two metres wide and if everything goes according to plan, this machine with its fighter plane engine and rocket will smash the sound barrier at Hakskeen Pan at Upington in the Northern Cape toward the end of 2011.

Hakskeen Pan is about 200km north of Upington close to the Namibian border. The nearest town is Groot Mier.

The latest version of ten prototypes of the Bloodhound SuperSonic Car was on Monday presented at the British Farnborough air show and attracted more attention than the latest plane models, reported the BBC on its website.

The car is being developed and built by a British team.

During the presentation of the life-size model, it was announced that a company would later this year begin building the rear of the car, while the front would be built early next year.

When all work has been completed, this car of about six tons, would be brought to SA for its assault on the sound barrier (approximately 1200km/h).

Rocket

The machine would be powered by an adjusted Falcon rocket and a Eurofighter Typhoon jet engine working in tandem.

Test grounds in three countries were considered for the attempt: Australia, Canada and SA.

Australia and Canada were soon dropped. Hakskeen Pan, near Upington, was selected as there were almost no stones on the pan and it could carry the weight of the car.

In 2007, the Thrust SuperSonic Car with flight commander Andy Green, reached a speed of 1 228km/h. He will sit behind the wheel of the Bloodhound for the attempt at Hakskeen Pan.

- Beeld

Turbo_Steve
21-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Ahhh....but can it fit a wardrobe in the back? :D

Dare I mention Fuel Economy?

elnevio
22-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I suspect many gpm will be the measurement! (Gallons per mile...)

Looking forward to this when they start making the attempts.

psbarham
22-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Steve, i fear the fuel economy may be a tad worse than the vr4, especially as the fuel pump requires a 500+ bhp v12 to power it :o

Turbo_Steve
22-07-2010, 05:38 PM
So...about on a par with an Auto, then? :D