PDA

View Full Version : Dot 5.1 brake fluid

SGHOM
28-08-2004, 04:36 PM
I've ordered my upgraded brake fluid, braided hoses [ from POTN ] & Ferodo DS 2500 pads from custom FX !!! :-b
I just hope & pray they come in time for Trax ! :rolleyes5
6 pot calipers & 360mm discs will have to wait, as the coffers are empty ! :$
I've had to turn the settee upside down, & raid my grandaughters piggy bank to pay for the above !! :lipsrseal

my only concern was the possible corrosive effect on the rubber seals ?? has anyone had this problem with higher grade fluid ?? It was John, my mechanic, who voiced these concerns.

Roadrunner
28-08-2004, 06:01 PM
has anyone had this problem with higher grade fluid ??
I've not heard of that problem with DOT 5.1 fluid. I use DOT 4 in preference to 5.1 though because I've found 5.1 gives a softer pedal which doesn't inspire confidence. AFAIK, the boiling temperature of DOT 4 and 5.1 are similar so the difference in performance with heavy usage is not noticeable (to me anyway :rolleyes: ). I know also that 5.1 needs to be changed regularly because it gives up moisture after being hot which is less effective as a hydraulic fluid than brake fluid (may also be the reason for the softer pedal).

Brian

chris g
29-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Use Motul RBF 600 - great reviews from other users on other forums and see notes below I made and took details from posts on other forums:

For fluid, I use Motul RBF600 from Chris Wilson.
Motul 600, compatible with stock fluids, is ALMOST as good as Castrol SRF, which is the the ultimate, but a lot cheaper - have both in stock, prices and contact details below:

Motul RBF 600 :- 7.30 per 500 mls (1/2 litre) No VAT to pay.

Castrol SRF :- 41.00 per 1 litre (no 500 mls bottles available)

For all but the most serious of track days or racing, in a car with
marginal brakes, the Motul is fine. Both the above are TOTALLY different to brand name 5.1 fluids and are designed for cars with brakes worked hard on both road and track. Both mix with stock fluids. You'll need 1 litre minimum to bleed through, ideally 1.5 litres.

Carriage is 3.50 for up to 3 bottles of Motul, or 3 quid per bottle of
SRF. I have stock of both, or you can collect.

Chris Wilson
? £26 for 1.5 litres
Tel 01948 841 581.

Polabear
12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Use Motul RBF 600 - great reviews from other users on other forums and see notes below I made and took details from posts on other forums:

For fluid, I use Motul RBF600 from Chris Wilson.
Motul 600, compatible with stock fluids, is ALMOST as good as Castrol SRF, which is the the ultimate, but a lot cheaper - have both in stock, prices and contact details below:

Castrol SRF :- 41.00 per 1 litre (no 500 mls bottles available)

For all but the most serious of track days or racing, in a car with
marginal brakes, the Motul is fine. Both the above are TOTALLY different to brand name 5.1 fluids and are designed for cars with brakes worked hard on both road and track. Both mix with stock fluids. You'll need 1 litre minimum to bleed through, ideally 1.5 litres.

Carriage is 3.50 for up to 3 bottles of Motul, or 3 quid per bottle of
SRF. I have stock of both, or you can collect.

Chris Wilson
? £26 for 1.5 litres
Tel 01948 841 581.
Motul Brake Fluid

Don't overlook your brake fluid
Brake fluid is often one of the most overlooked fluids in today's modern vehicles. Consumers will lubricate and change their engines with high performance oils, however the brake and clutch hydraulic systems are often neglected and ignored. With you and your vehicle's safety in mind, your brake fluids are an integral part of regular maintenance. Motul has been in the forefront of synthetic brake fluid design for years, and their constant pursuit of high performance race fluids has enabled them to offer vastly superior brake fluids for your street and race cars.

Motul Brake Fluid

RBF 600 Factory Line (Racing)
100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic-actuated brake and clutch systems. Specifically designed to resist the high temperatures of actuated (steel or carbon) racing brakes and clutch systems

THE ultimate high performance brake fluid. It far exceeds the standards of DOT 3 and DOT 4, with a dry boiling point of 594 degrees, and wet boiling point of 421 degrees. Used exclusively by more major professional race teams, RBF600 is synonymous with ultra high performance. For road racing, circle track, endurance, motorcycle and high performance street, RBF600 is known worldwide for its outstanding anti-fade and anti-boiling characteristics. Fully compatible with all street Dot 3 and Dot 4 fluids, RBF600 can be used year long with outstanding results. Tested and raced with. A definitive must if you run track days. Each container is filled with nitrogen to increase the shelf life and eliminate contamination while factory sealed.

EXTREME THERMAL RESISTANCE AND STABILITY: the elevated boiling point of RBF 600 FACTORY LINE (312°c / 593°F) enables effective braking even under the extreme conditions of competition.

VERY EFFICIENT WHEN RAINY: the very high wet boiling point (216°c / 420°F), is superior to conventional brake fluids provides a particularly efficient braking system in rain and put back the apparition of vapor lock.

NORMES : FMVSS 116 DOT 4 / SAE J 1703 / ISO 4925

Wodjno
12-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Does Brake Fluid have a shelf life ?? I got some but had it a while , just wondering if it's ok to drink ?? :lipsrseal :laugh:

Nick Mann
12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
If the seal is not broken it should be okay. If the seal is broken then it will be slowly absorbing air. Not good for pedal firmness!

Wodjno
12-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I've had it 2 years .. :huh: It's been opened once and the lids been on tight ever since .. Don't know if you have ever come accross it .. attached images ..

wirdy
12-09-2004, 10:54 PM
If the seal is broken then it will be slowly absorbing air. Not good for pedal firmness!

I think you meant 'water' Nick?. All mineral brake fluids are hygroscopic- racing fluids even more so than normal fluids. ;)

As Nick says though, as long as the tin is nearly full & has a tight cap it'll be okay. Fluids do have a shelf life (measured in years), but your tin looks relatively modern.

Wodjno
12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks Wirdy .. I brought for My rover 620ti when i had it .. an uprated discs and pads .... but forgot to tell mechanic that it was in the boot and to replace it .. Will give it a go in the VR4 .. i have my new Disc and Pads on the front and new pads on the rear but they are still very spongey.. Changing Brake hoses and brake fluid ... Then sorting out my excessive toe IN toe OUT prob at the rear .. Then will fit my NEW 18inch KONIG E-RACER'S .. Thanks again :D

Polabear
13-09-2004, 06:06 PM
I think you meant 'water' Nick?. All mineral brake fluids are hygroscopic- racing fluids even more so than normal fluids. ;)

As Nick says though, as long as the tin is nearly full & has a tight cap it'll be okay. Fluids do have a shelf life (measured in years), but your tin looks relatively modern.

Nige
Unless I am very much mistaken 100% Synthetic brake fluid is Non hygroscopic, Motul actually state this in their blurb, please feel free to correct me..the Old Bears brain is not what it used to be...... :dozey: :rolleyes5

PS, to WODJNO yes I have come across the super blue before, a good drop of gear.

Wodjno
13-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks Pola .. Specs don't look quite as good as hat Motul Stuff . But they are reasonable .. So I'll give it a whirl .. :D

wirdy
13-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Nige
Unless I am very much mistaken 100% Synthetic brake fluid is Non hygroscopic, Motul actually state this in their blurb, please feel free to correct me..the Old Bears brain is not what it used to be...... :dozey: :rolleyes5

PS, to WODJNO yes I have come across the super blue before, a good drop of gear.

Aha ?? Didn't realise super blue was synthetic fluid. Thought it would have had that stamped all over the tin - most manufacturers do these days!! ;) Are all synthetic brake fluids non-hygroscopic?
(I think I'm still correct when I said 'all mineral brake fluids are hygroscopic' :-D )

The only stuff I'm aware of that is GUARANTEED non-hygroscopic is THIS STUFF (http://www.automec.co.uk/frame_set.html) have heard stories about incompatibilty with some older cars residual mineral fluid / causing leaks. OK with a 'modern' car if you completely flush the system through, apparently.

Not on my list though- it's bleedin' expensive & I'd rather just change my normal 5.1 fluid every two years ;) Tight git!! :laugh:

Polabear
14-09-2004, 02:16 PM
(I think I'm still correct when I said 'all mineral brake fluids are hygroscopic' :-D )

And yes you are..... :D

wirdy
14-09-2004, 07:04 PM
and polyglycol based fluids...?
But sound a bit like antifreeze to me. :-D