PDA

View Full Version : Magnecor......a question

miller
21-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Camskill list Magnecor 8mm and 8.5mm uprated leads for my Evo. No luck with an answer on MLR so thought i would ask it here.

Whats the difference and which one should i go for? Plus whats the science behind the thickness? The bigger the thickness the better conductivity or something?

8mm leads
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s2314p11857

8.5mm leads
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s2314p10866

TIA you knowledagble lot!

aboo
21-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Cant see them being much diffrent from the VR4 ones Mike.

Answer I got from PT was that a couple of sets of the blue ones(8.0) had perished quicker than the red ones (8.5).

chris g
21-07-2010, 03:25 PM
On other Forums - MR2 IIRC - I have read of problems with Magnecour leads - may have been certain spec

May be worth searching for anything of this to help choose the right brand/spec

Wodjno
21-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Sure i saw some Magnecor 8.5's on Eurospec's GTO /Hmmm

The Vee
21-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Some sources claim they have a higher resistance than other makes. Maybe they do but if the coil packs are any good they may provide a stronger spark. TBH had no issues with mine (Red 8.5s I believe)

Eurospec
21-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Sure i saw some Magnecor 8.5's on Eurospec's GTO /Hmmm

Yeah, you would have, beacuse someone BEGGED me to sell them my MSD's. We dont reccomend magnecores, you will find new stock are much better, although often magnecore is the only choice if you dont want stock.

If you search on stealth 316 you will find some research that Jeff Luscious did on different leads. He did stock, MSD, Magnecore, Accell. He measured the number of ohms per foot. I couldnt believe the results so i did the test myself, and got very similar results.

Basically stock circa 300 ohms per foot. Magnecore 3000 ohms per foot. MSD 30 ohms per foot.

Ultimately unless you are an audio person you want the most energy delivered to the plug tip as you can. Some ignition systems do need a bit of resistance, but most are fine without.

So basically yes i have them, but then i also have a spark amp that will push a spark down a bit of string!

So bottom line, new stock will be better than a magnecore.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nick Mann
21-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Ben - I seem to remember that you were talking about sourcing decent leads to sell at one point. Is that something you are doing or can do?

miller
21-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Interesting then, better get new stock items than magnecores then!

and they are sligtly cheaper.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s2314p10754

edit: re read Bens post, if the magnecores throw 3000ohms compared to the 300ohms of stock then surely they wipe the floor with them? If im right in saying the higher number the better. Can you tell my electrical knowledge isnt too bright....excuse the pun!

Wodjno
21-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Interesting then, better get new stock items than magnecores then!

and they are sligtly cheaper.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s2314p10754

edit: re read Bens post, if the magnecores throw 3000ohms compared to the 300ohms of stock then surely they wipe the floor with them? If im right in saying the higher number the better. Can you tell my electrical knowledge isnt too bright....excuse the pun!

3000ohms means 10 x more electrical resistance than 300ohms..
In english the tricity is pusing harder to get from 1 end to the other :thumbsup:

Eurospec
21-07-2010, 09:38 PM
So the lower the number the better ;-)

You are quite right nick, i did, but my supplier never came up with the roll of wire! I will try it again though with a different guy.

Cheers,

Ben.

Turbo_Steve
22-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Er....10,000volts into a 30Ohm cable run is going to result in a signal reflection of (if I've got the maths right) 2748 volts at the coil end whilst it's re-energising.

Which is probably nearly as much load as the 3000ohms dissipates, isn't it?

ARRGH! Inductor/Transformer calculations!!! And the voltage measured is at the field collapse point which means flux area calcul......ohhh bllech...I think I just felt something in my head burn out.

/dunce

VR457
22-07-2010, 07:22 PM
So how would all this translate in practice? I mean a head to head with Magnecore v Stock leads?

Turbo_Steve
22-07-2010, 09:40 PM
To be honest, with our cars as stock, I'd be amazed if you see much difference - most of this stuff doesn't really show up until you start mapping.

There will be a point where you start running higher cylinder pressures where this sort of stuff matters. If your spark is inferior, you're going to lose some power - it's effectively retarding the timing (smaller spark, later \ slower flame front) but on the standard ECU with it's comparitively lax timing, I can't see it being very significant.

Stick and aftermarket ECU in there, and I'd be thinking in terms of getting rid of the wasted spark setup anyway.

SGHOM
22-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Not had time to read this thread Mike, but I thought you were on about racing in France !! :inquisiti

miller
22-07-2010, 10:50 PM
France......lol

Im more on about replacing possibly worn out items........weighing up whats best Steve?!

Wodjno
22-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Er....10,000volts into a 30Ohm cable run is going to result in a signal reflection of (if I've got the maths right) 2748 volts at the coil end whilst it's re-energising.

Which is probably nearly as much load as the 3000ohms dissipates, isn't it?

ARRGH! Inductor/Transformer calculations!!! And the voltage measured is at the field collapse point which means flux area calcul......ohhh bllech...I think I just felt something in my head burn out.

/dunce

So your saying that it neither Hither nor Thither :vulcan:

Turbo_Steve
23-07-2010, 09:52 PM
For standard coils and relatively standard setup, I don't think there is any benefit in using aftermarket leads. That being said, I've used magnecores on a few cars without issue, usually when they've been cheaper than standard leads.

Eurospec
24-07-2010, 08:57 PM
For standard coils and relatively standard setup, I don't think there is any benefit in using aftermarket leads. That being said, I've used magnecores on a few cars without issue, usually when they've been cheaper than standard leads.

I would agree, its when you start upping the boost and the spark starts to blow out that you get issues.

With aftermarket ecus you can pump up the coil dwell to try and stop it- ie hit the coil for longer- but often you cant crank it too much without over charging the coil and causing a miss that way.

Cheers,

Ben.

zentac
24-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I run blue magnecores 8mm, never had a problem with them...

cant really say more than that, as I am running over 600bhp

ANTHONY
28-08-2010, 09:26 PM
so if there in no advantage in having magnecore leads is there any disadvantage

ianturbo
04-09-2010, 12:21 AM
the sandard ones are like spagetti the magnacore ones are like snakes !! bigger is better !!:smartass2
ian

Eurospec
04-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Only that when the coils or plugs get old, they might not transfer enough energy to get a decent spark.

The stock coils are pretty decent though.

Cheers,

Ben.

simonc
02-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I have just fitted blue 8mm magnecore leads, they seemed great for the first 10minutes or so in town with some mild acceleration, accelerated quick to 70 on the motorway, still nice, sat at 50 for a minute and started getting missfire.

Now works ok under 2000rpm and when reved in neutral, any acceleration and the engine just stops, revs drop then kick in again like masive misfire.

Has anyone any ideas? I'm not looking forward to taking it all apart again to put the old stock leands back on. The reson for changing was a mild loss of power when going up steep hills at 80-90 but previously driving around A roads, overtaking etc. was OK.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

aboo
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Did you hear a click when you pushed them on to the plugs?

simonc
02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I felt a light pop but not a hard click.

aboo
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
That maybe the prob. There not on properly & not getting a proper spark.

simonc
02-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Do you have to push the back ones down pretty hard rather than just a good thumb press?

aboo
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes they need a good bit of pressure on them to get the reassuring click.

simonc
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
That could be it. I will post my findings, thanks for comments.

simonc
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
The trick to making it work is putting it back together properly! The air pipe to the intercooler had come off because I hadn't tightened the jubilee. Going well now, next challenge is to make it stop, AYC, ABS and traction control lights still flashing all over the place, unrelated and for another day.