PDA

View Full Version : A tale of utter stupidity and the Registrar of Electors in New Zealand

Kenneth
25-07-2010, 07:29 AM
So, Jo and I moved house.

Being good citizens, we pro-actively updated our addresses (well, Jo did most of them :iloveyou: ) including updating our enrolment details.

About a week later, we get a reply.
"We are unable to update your address because you have been living there for less than 1 month"

Um... But you need my new address to send me forms you stupid idiots.

About another week down the track... We get mail from the Registrar of Electors addressed to our OLD address. The only reason we got it is that Jo was smart enough to put a mail re-direct on our mail.

"Please let us know if your details have changed"
Ok, so we sent it back again detailing our address change. And the same reply (within a couple of days of us being at the address for 1 month) "We cannot update your enrolment details as you have not been living at your current address for more than one month"

I mean, it isn't like we moved far... We still have the same post code for crying out loud.

Anyway, the icing on the cake was a couple of letters we got at around about the same time we got the letters saying we couldn't update our address still. These were addressed to our NEW address.
The stupid thing of course is that they must have snooped into the re-direct and seen that we have re-directs for Arnie Mann and Evie Mann.
Many of you will have seen pictures of one or both, however if the stupidity in that is not immediately apparent, take a look a the reply we sent for Arnie (Evie's was the same)

uploaded/1403/1280038877.jpg

andyleaves
25-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Don't you just love government!!!!

Kryton
25-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Good to see that the government are as on the ball in nz as they are in the uk! Useless, the lot of them

Humpty's Revenge
25-07-2010, 09:36 AM
What a waste of peoples time, mind you that`s what you call a Cat-astrophic cock-up!/Nuuu /megawoot

Ryan
25-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I did enjoy this post, particularly found the Arnie Mann aspect amusing :) *Shakes head in bewilderment*

Joanne
25-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Guess who does the paperwork in our house then....

Oblivion
26-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Hahaha I wasnt expecting to read that! I hope they enjoyed the reply they got :)

miller
26-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Maybe keep it quiet and next time voting comes around stand in the voting queue with Arnie in your arms.......

bradc
26-07-2010, 10:02 AM
As long as you use your extra two votes for the right wing :)

Joanne
26-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Adding to this: yesterday I got *another* confirmation of my enrolment, which I dutifully signed and put in the post with the one they sent on Friday. Not sure how many times I'm going to be enrolled now. Still waiting for our third cat to get her notice ;)

GroundControl
28-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Seems you're not the only ones: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sideswipe/news/article.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10661628

Wasted effort doesn't get my vote

Martin recently moved house, from Newmarket to Onehunga. "The electorate office efficiently sent me forms to fill out to enrol at this new abode. I filled them out, and posted them off only to receive a letter back this week saying that as I had not been in my residence for more than 30 days, I couldn't enrol. Why send me the form then? Wasted my time and theirs."